Hunter from Norway

Eurohunter

Hello fellow hunters. Im 28 years old from Norway and for the most i hunt moose, stag, roedeer, and small game. I watch a lot of hunting youtube videos like randy newberg, the hush boys and others.

The calibers that i use is 308 for moose and stag, 6.5x55 for roedeer and fox and a older sako l46 222 for goose and pigdeon.

Hunting in the US is a big ting for me so I'm now saving up for a hunting trip to America for some elk hunting. It will take some time to save up the money because we just resently had a baby so u know.

I will gladly take some advice on this project of mine. I really want to go to minnesota because there is a lot of norwegian-americans living there and i want to se why my fellow norwegians moved there.

Thank you for your help, Jon.

Welcome! and Congrats on the baby!

If you are 100% sure you are going to do an elk hunt I would think about building points so that when you do come over you have a good area to hunt. Randy's Youtube channel explains the process in detail. Look into WY and CO as their systems let you predict with some certainty when you will draw.

Hi Eurohunter. Congratulations on the new baby. I'm not from the U.S. either (Canadian) but hope to do western style hunts in the future. I don't know about anyone else but I would sure like to here about what hunting is like in Norway and see any pictures you care to share. Look forward to talking to you in the future!

Welcome, and nice intro! Congratulations on your newborn! As for there being alot of Norwegians in Minnesota. I believe they've been there for probably 1000 years! Come on over and visit, and chase some elk while you're here!

Welcome Eurohunter!! As you dream about coming here I dream about going to Norway!! My family is from Northern Germany and I lived there for a bit but long to see and hunt the BIG Northern woods. Like Cooker above, I can't wait to hear about the hunting you do. You will find folks here to b e generous with information and help. Skål!!

Welcome Eurohunter! Like Big Fin, I am an American of Norwegian descent. My Norwegian family lives, hunts and fishes near Roros (Femund Lake). I have fished with them there and they have visited the US to fish and hike in Montana and Alaska. I would enjoy learning more about the outdoor traditions of Norway. Congratulations on the new baby and on all those damned medals in the Winter Olympics!

Congratulations on the new little one. I posted the page to get Montana's regulations and hunting information. I do not live in Minnesota but my great aunt was born there and my great grandmother as well. My grandfather was from Germany. Throw in a bunch of Irish and you have quite a combination there!

Anything I can do to help make a dream come true don't be afraid to ask. Elk and deer (whitetail & mule deer) combination tags are not too tough to draw in Montana. You missed the deadline for this years application though for out of state folks I believe.
David

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/regulations/

Hei og velkommen!

Sportsmen coming to the US for hunting face one universal hunting hurdle of showing proof of an acceptable Hunter's Safety course. In some US states, it might be possible that what you have already done to be allowed to hunt in Norway would allow you to participate here. There is no such requirement for one wanting to fish....just get a non-resident fishing license and cast away.

I echo others in requesting that you share with us New-Worlders some of the Old World hunting adventures that you have undertaken.

Love the Norwegians. That is my mother's side of my heritage, with the Finns being my father's side. A bit of Swede is mixed in on both sides.

I wish I knew where in Norway that my Mom's family immigrated from. My maternal great-great grandfather was H. Olaf Okland, or as he became known in Minnesota, "Ole Oakland." He was a great friend of Ole Edvart Rolvaag, professor at St. Olaf College and known for the book(s) Giants In The Earth, a story of Norwegians settling in what was Dakota Territory that later became Minnesota. I have many letters between the two with my GGfather writing of his homesteading life in Northern, MN from 1915-1924. Amazing reading of these events and what they went through.

Rolvaag and his family came from Donna, Norway. My family was from nearby, but none of the records we have can pin down exactly where in Norway they were born/lived. They all ended up in the same little place of Northfield, MN in the late 1800's.

Plying the woodsmanship they had brought with them, my family would head north for temporary work as contractors for the railroad; hunting for meat to feed lumber camps and railroaders. Trapping augmented that income when possible.

Eventually it was time to plant roots "up north," which at that time the big woods of North-central Minnesota were pretty much nothing but a few logging camps. Leaving Northfield to build a permanent life, they settled in the little town of Marcell, homesteading on a lake now known as Big Ole. They spent their first year living in a tent, even through winter. Our family still owns the cabin sites on that homestead location. Growing up fishing that lake and going back there each summer is special to all of us.

I hope you have luck in your hunting quest. Glad to connect you to any people I might know in Minnesota who could help you in your hunt.

Welcome. they move to Minnesota because they think they are still at home. I've lived in both places and they are remarkably similar in many ways. But I'm Iowa now. Norwegians everywhere, but a very different landscape.

You won't find elk in Minnesota however.

Welcome! Like many others I love to see photos of hunting in other places and animals that are different than what we have here. Please share a few when you have time.

I was living in the area for some years when I was studying and me and some friends spent a lot of time on the Femund lake those summers. Great fishing and if you want you can be totally isolated from other people. Great memories!

Haha yes the Olympics. Thanks, the winter olympic almost felt like the nationals for some time, without sounding like a ass:rolleyes:
I was cheering for Diggins and Randall when they where head to head with the sweds in the sprint. Nordmenn and sweds are a brother people so we have a great relationship to each other but we also don't like to loose to each other.

Welcome Eurohunter! Like Big Fin, I am an American of Norwegian descent. My Norwegian family lives, hunts and fishes near Roros (Femund Lake). I have fished with them there and they have visited the US to fish and hike in Montana and Alaska. I would enjoy learning more about the outdoor traditions of Norway. Congratulations on the new baby and on all those damned medals in the Winter Olympics!

I was living in the area for some years when I was studying and me and some friends spent a lot of time on the Femund lake those summers. Great fishing and if you want you can be totally isolated from other people. Great memories!

Haha yes the Olympics. Thanks, the winter olympic almost felt like the nationals for some time, without sounding like a ass
I was cheering for Diggins and Randall when they where head to head with the sweds in the sprint. Nordmenn and sweds are a brother people so we have a great relationship to each other but we also don't like to loose to each other.

Euro, if you are considering CO in the future here is some good information from the Parks and Wildlife folks....Elk Hunting University!! http://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Pages/EHU.aspx

I think I have to do some more research when it comes to your draw system. Here in Norway we have agencys that customises hunting trips to the US. But these trips are expensive, we are talking 7000$ without the plane ticket.

Back