Bow's Life Expectancy

greatwhitebuffalo

I'm curious as to what thoughts some of you might have on a bow's life span. I've been shooting a Martin Speedflight since 1992 and still like it. I'm just beginning to wonder if I'm pressing my luck after all these years. Especially when I hear about much younger/advanced models shattering limbs and such. I doubt that I ever shot more than 50 arrows in any given year and it's still about as good as the day I got it. But, would hate to have it fail when I was actually taking an important shot. I'm guessing it's still good, but sure there's a lot of folks who can offer insight. Time to move it to a backup? Keep as a 'go to' and get another for a backup? Or, keep driving on with one of the few things in this world that I've been able to rely on for over 25 years??? Thanks!

Obviously it's served you well over the years and some could argue there technically isn't a reason you absolutely need to upgrade... That being said - if I were in your position, I'd look at moving that bow to a 'backup/spare' role and look at getting a newer bow as your primary. If you want to buy a brand new one with warranty etc great, if not, there are always really nice used bows that are in excellent shape and only a year or two old for hundreds less than when they were on the shelf in the store... The technology updates in today's bows vs. the 90's is significant - I think you'll be happy you upgraded... And it's always nice to have a backup you're comfortable with... I always bring a backup bow on my out of state hunts and have had to use them before - so nice to have...

Just my humble opinion, but your 25-year old bow has only shot about 1,000 to 1,250 arrows. That is not a lot. Hardcore shooters will do that in a year pretty easily. If your bow has been properly cared for, you should still be good to go. The chances of your bow going tits up on you during an important shot are not as likely as it would when you are practicing. By the way, you need to shoot more! :)

I put about 100 arrows down range a week during the summer, less during winter. If that averaged 50 a week, that's about the same in a year that you have done.

I'd say invest in a new one, the tech alone is crazy since 1992. I'd also tell you to shoot much more. No way I could stay in shape with just 50 arrows a year.

You guys have me swayed towards checking out the new era, and holding my current bow for in reserve for a few specific occasions. Tough part's going to be sifting through everything, since there's so much out there. But, that's half the fun with stuff like this.

I'm especially curious about anything that's lighter and maybe smaller/more compact.

Don't let these guys talk you into something you really don't want to do. If your bow hits where you aim it, a new one will only be an unnecessary expense. On the other hand, buy a new one if you really want!

I shot a Mathews Feathermax from ~1997-2010. At that time I spent a ton of time in the woods and killed a pile of whitetails and turkeys with that thing. I loved that bow and thought I'd use it forever. While killing time at the in-laws over the holidays 8-9 years ago, I stumbled into a pro-shop that had a pile of left handed bows in stock. The sales guy that came up to me was bored, so he set up a new Hoyt, a new Mathews, and a new Bowtech for me. Bare bow, simple rest, no sight. I shot a half-dozen arrows out of each one to just get a feel for how they shot. Each had its own feel, but one of the three really jumped out at me.

That winter I found a NIB version of that bow for half off the sticker price on archerytalk, and started picking away at choosing components to set it up. I saved ~$600 on my setup when it was all said and done by shopping around a bit.

That bow is a little heavier and a little longer than my old Mathews, but there is a night and day difference between the two. I still have the old Feathermax, but I hardly ever shoot it.

Some my friends and coworkers are always caught in the revolving door of newest archery gear, but at the end of the day I've got enough other hobbies to burn money on. One of these days I'll upgrade again, but for now I'm happy making more memories w/ my 2009 bow.

If you can find a good shop, shooting a bunch of models is your best bet. Keep an eye on the brace heights and find something that just feels good. Find something with good reviews (from a brand you've heard of) and you'll be all set- anything made in the last 3-4 years will be light years ahead of your old set-up. Bowtech, Hoyt, Mathews, Prime, Elite, PSE, and others all make good stuff and it's really a matter of personal choice.

Go shoot a few new bows. I think you will be pleasantly surprise at the differences.

You will want one then.

The technology will be amazing comparatively. My dad lets me use his Matthews ZXT since his shoulder is bad and it's really nice. However, your old bow probably isn't going to explode or anything if you've been taking care of it. If it would make you feel better just go and get it checked out at a shop. But if it works, don't feel as though you need to fix it.

The difference between my old PSE and the Matthews is deer vitals size groups at 25-30 yards vs 50-60 yards. (I still don't shoot that far, but the accuracy and speed is amazing)

Nothing wrong with your current bow, especially if you have confidence in its ability in your hands and its been maintained. ALOT to be said for a bow that exudes confidence in its owner.

Now if you do check out some new bows you may find it opens the doors to hunting scenario's you did not think possible, expand range, longing hold back time, possible drawing comfortably from new or different positions. Bows have come a LONG way in 25 years. You might even feel its cheating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back