Whitetail hunter form Ohio here

rangerboy82nd

Hello,

I recently found the Fresh Tracts series on Amazon Prime and after years of dreaming about it have decided to attempt a hunting trip out west.

My goal is to get a combo elk/deer tag for Montana and make a trip out there this fall. My expectations are minimal, but I am here to possibly learn more about the process. If I just see an Elk or Mule deer I would be happy. Getting a shot at one would be icing on the cake.

I know how to officially enter into the permit drawing etc, but I would love to learn how to increase my chances of succeeding in my first goal above ( to see an Elk and a Muley )

If anyone wants to point me to a general area to apply for in this post that would be great, but if not I am going to try and research the forums as much as possible before the Mar 15 deadline. I just want to experience the beauty and challenge of hunting out west with the possibility of harvest success as a cherry on top.

If you're doing the combo you'd just be applying for the general tag not a permit for a unit. I believe the general combo tag was not 100% draw last year(maybe 95%?) so if you're good w/ just an elk tag I'd look at just the elk combo b/c there were leftovers last year.

Welcome, from a fellow buckeye. I hunted the Montana combo tag in 2015. Harvested a decent mulie buck, and saw some elk but couldn't close the deal. There are lots of areas to hunt on the general tags. Just go prepared and in as good a shape as possible, get good gear, and have fun!

Welcome, from a fellow buckeye. I hunted the Montana combo tag in 2015. Harvested a decent mulie buck, and saw some elk but couldn't close the deal. There are lots of areas to hunt on the general tags. Just go prepared and in as good a shape as possible, get good gear, and have fun!

This is good to hear, what part of the state did you hunt in?

Welcome!
Research research research... search elk forms and read, gain knowledge. And be prepared for a big learning curve when you hit the elk woods. Oh.... and be prepared for the addiction.
Good luck!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back