Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Harvest the beaver or not?

TheHunterBiologist

I'm interested in harvesting one or two beavers for their meat and pelt. I missed a chance to shoot what looked like a large male because I wasn't quick enough with my gun. After a few hours of waiting, a small beaver (maybe female) popped up. I had a clean shot at 10 feet, but I couldn't get my self to do it. Here is why and I want other folks opinion on what they would have done. I have known about this large series of beaver ponds for over a decade. About 5 years ago I saw five beavers swimming around at once. Three quarters of the ponds were dry this year. We had a huge snow year. I'm guessing the spring runoff blew out most of dams, which is why most of ponds were dry. I started thinking when I saw the reduction in habitat that I shouldn't harvest the female (small one). These ponds are in an isolated high elevation drainage. There aren't a lot of beavers, as far as I know, in the region to help repopulate. I would have shot the male (big headed one) if I had the chance, but I didn't want to shoot the small one. Am I over thinking this situation? How long do people see it takes for new male beavers to move into a remote drainage?

I think you are having the right thought process and reservation

If a female and male beaver are the same age they will be similar size and actually the female tend to be larger than the male.

Beaver demand for pelts and such is low so I wouldn’t be concerned about the overall population in the US. If it were me and I was going to put it to good use I would have no trouble shooting one but you might consider trapping too. Or maybe ask around and see if someone has a nuisance beaver that you could trap.

Just some thoughts.

Beaver are easy to trap for the most part. I'd order a couple 330's and a little lure. Sometimes beaver can be hard to retrieve after being shot. Good luck

If you want a beaver or ten I’m your guide. Get with me if you want to kill/trap several in a day or two. They are quite the nuisance here.

If the OP doesn't, I may take you up on that offer! I'm slowly dipping my toe into the trapping water. Something I've long be fascinated with just haven't had the time or location to do it much.

Be careful as well with shooting them if they are not in a trap, depending on state regulations it could be illegal. I know in Montana it is unless you have a nuisance/damage permit.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back