Caribou Gear

Grouse hunting during WY pronghorn hunt

rbaca10

Went on my first pronghorn hunt last October in Central Wyoming and tagged out on day two. Saw many grouse during my stalks and wished I had brought a shotgun to take advantage of the opportunity the remainder of the week.

I'll admit, being from Texas I've never seen a grouse so I am not actually sure what species we saw... some were the size of a guinea and others were more quail like. Any of you bird hunters know what kind of upland birds are common in Hot Springs County or central Wyoming? Once I figure out what they were, I can look at season dates and see if it is possible to hunt birds and pronghorn at the same time.

I'm planning to do the same this year and bringing the dog out to help. Dog and I hunted grouse in Utah between prong stalks this year and only managed to point a bull moose but excited to try again. Sage grouse season is the shortest and WY seems to be the only place with a huntable population of them so I'll be planning around that, even if I have to chase speed goat across a state line. I'm coming out from GA so can't ID the critters you saw, but let me know if you want the dog to help chase mystery birds.

If you were in sage country and found guinea sized birds they were probably sage grouse, they are noticeably bigger than sharp tail grouse. The quail sized birds might have been Hungarian Partridge, I've found them near agriculture in the past while in Mt and WY.

I'm planning to do the same this year and bringing the dog out to help. Dog and I hunted grouse in Utah between prong stalks this year and only managed to point a bull moose but excited to try again. Sage grouse season is the shortest and WY seems to be the only place with a huntable population of them so I'll be planning around that, even if I have to chase speed goat across a state line. I'm coming out from GA so can't ID the critters you saw, but let me know if you want the dog to help chase mystery birds.
If you're hunting in UT, they have sage grouse seasons in certain areas on a draw basis. I'm seriously considering a doe pronghorn/sage grouse trip this fall with Hank. Might spring for a buck tag as well, but not sure I want to go into the special draw.

Went on my first pronghorn hunt last October in Central Wyoming and tagged out on day two. Saw many grouse during my stalks and wished I had brought a shotgun to take advantage of the opportunity the remainder of the week.

I'll admit, being from Texas I've never seen a grouse so I am not actually sure what species we saw... some were the size of a guinea and others were more quail like. Any of you bird hunters know what kind of upland birds are common in Hot Springs County or central Wyoming? Once I figure out what they were, I can look at season dates and see if it is possible to hunt birds and pronghorn at the same time.

The ones that were guinea sized may have been sage grouse and the ones that may have been quail sized were probably chukars or huns. There is a possibility that they could have been ruffies too. It is important to be able to identify what species of bird are in the area, because there are different regulations on a lot of them. Sage chickens only have a 7-10 day season and Chukars/Huns are open forever.

For example: You could take 2 Sage Chickens, 3 Ruffs, 5 Huns, and 5 Chukars in the same day. If you mix up those numbers and take 5 sage chickens in one day, then you could be in a world of heat. Granted sage chickens are easy to identify, because of how big and slow flying they are.

Another thing, I would recommend is looking at the duck season dates. Last year in the area I hunted the duck season opened on the ~23rd of September. I killed 11 ducks (Including all three species of teal) and a goose in addition to a 10 sage chickens during the season.

Attachments

• 22008029_10213625501607002_7190236094938947377_n.jpg
    22008029_10213625501607002_7190236094938947377_n.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 198
I took my shotgun on an antelope hunt 2 years ago and never saw a sage grouse. I was bummed too as I really wanted to shoot one! Then I ran into a local on my way out of the state and he had shot 2 that morning...

Season dates are short and limited so it's a small window that you can hunt. I think the season closed September 30 when I was out there.

The ones that were guinea sized may have been sage grouse and the ones that may have been quail sized were probably chukars or huns. There is a possibility that they could have been ruffies too. It is important to be able to identify what species of bird are in the area, because there are different regulations on a lot of them. Sage chickens only have a 7-10 day season and Chukars/Huns are open forever.

For example: You could take 2 Sage Chickens, 3 Ruffs, 5 Huns, and 5 Chukars in the same day. If you mix up those numbers and take 5 sage chickens in one day, then you could be in a world of heat. Granted sage chickens are easy to identify, because of how big and slow flying they are.

Another thing, I would recommend is looking at the duck season dates. Last year in the area I hunted the duck season opened on the ~23rd of September. I killed 11 ducks (Including all three species of teal) and a goose in addition to a 10 sage chickens during the season.
Nicely done!! Me and bearded Hank may be in your neck of the woods chasing birds. Great pic.

Sage grouse are a blast to hunt, no dog needed. Make sure the area you're in has a season, some parts of the state do not.
Dusky grouse also are open in Sept and are much tastier, mountain grouse.
Look near water sources for sage grouse, not right by but in the area. The young ones taste better.
It is possible to hunt upland birds and waterfowl during your hunt. usually our dove head out with the first cold snap but sometimes a few are still around also.
Dude, nice birds and dog !

thanks 1_pointer, I'll check that UT sage grouse season. I'll be applying for speed goats again there but don't know if I can win one. We had lots of fun, and more falling, chasing chukar and would love do that again.

IMG_9302 (1).jpg

Very nice!! Not sure where you are putting in for pronghorn, but I am familiar with some parts of the northern part of the state.

Nicely done!! Me and bearded Hank may be in your neck of the woods chasing birds. Great pic.

Hopefully, you make it. Sage Chickens are a blast to hunt with a pointing dog. They hold really well and are really slow flyers. I also would recommend never to shoot your limit out of one flock, which is easy to do. Just pick out a mature bull and stay on that one bird and let all of the hens live.

Thanks for the info. I'm certain we were seeing a good number of sage grouse. The smaller birds were likely ruffed grouse after going a little research.

Hopefully, you make it. Sage Chickens are a blast to hunt with a pointing dog. They hold really well and are really slow flyers. I also would recommend never to shoot your limit out of one flock, which is easy to do. Just pick out a mature bull and stay on that one bird and let all of the hens live.
They are about my favorite bird to hunt! I've shot them in 3 states, just not with my own dog yet. And I don't mind eating them. Need to get a big boomer to mount before they can't be hunted anymore.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back