Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Howa 30-06 - too heavy for mountain hunting?

westernslope

I know that Howas are popular here. I have a mini action that I really like (even though it needs a hinged floorplate!), and I like it enough that I would like to get a Howa rifle as my first big-game rifle. I live in western Colorado, so I want something for elk, and I've kind of convinced myself that I want a 30-06. The Howa 1500 Hogue weighs more than 7.5 pounds, and with a lightweight scope (my mini has a Leupold VX-1 that weighs 11 oz) and lightweight mounts, I'd be looking at close to 8.5 lbs without ammo or a sling.

The cool hunting forums seem to be telling me that I need a lighter rifle. Other folks (like on the Chuck Hawks website) say that 8.5 lbs is just right for a 30-06 and that if I get much lighter, recoil is going to be a problem. Since I'm anticipating hunting in some pretty rough and high country, I know that weight could be an issue.

Do any of you use a standard Howa rifle (or something in this weight range) for mountain hunting? I know I could also get a lighter weight rifle in a different caliber like one of the Howa Kuiu models in 308 or 7mm-08, but there are already a ton of discussions about calibers and I don't want to start another one of those.

Thanks!

I have some light rifles, but I still also carry around my 9+ pound (scoped) Remington 700 in 7RM with magnum contoured barrel.

Not sure what that hogue stock weighs, but you might be able to shave some weight there.

What caliber is your mini action and how much does it weigh? Could that be your ultra light rifle? I have a 9.5 .264 win mag, I feel like the weight is perfect for the caliber (probably the same reasons that Chuck gives). I have hike all over Colorado, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming with it at this point I'm ok with the extra pounds of weight.

Because I have a 9.5lb rifle, if I was to get a light-weight rifle I would go all out and get something that was 5 1/2lbs like the kimber ascent... because I already have a one quiver rifle I like, I would want the new one for special outings.

For an all around rifle I think 8.5lbs and .30-06 are a great combo. My buddy is in the exact same boat and is looking at a Tikka in .30-06 with scope and rings it should be similar in weight.

For an all around rifle I think 8.5lbs and .30-06 are a great combo. My buddy is in the exact same boat and is looking at a Tikka in .30-06 with scope and rings it should be similar in weight.

Tikka out of box is about 6.25lbs. My tikka .308 was 7.3lbs with my scope/rings. I put it in a B&C stock (not because of recoil, just as a preference) and it ended up 8.3lbs -- perfect for me. I figure the longer part of the walk it will be attached to my backpack so 1 pound is a rounding error -- or I will just eat a salad the day or two before the trip to shave a pound. Of course in hand for a stalk, but 1 lb not a big deal there either. We all have things we just like, stock type, preferred caliber, US/non-US maker, scope brand, BDC vs CDS vs Kentucky windage, etc. I put the pursuit of low weight rifles in that camp. If you want to see how low you can go, so be it, but overall firearms weight is not on my personal list of quirky preferences.

I'm all for saving weight, but 8.5 pounds is quite reasonable and will probably be more forgiving on your shoulder and easier to hold steady. There are advantages to lighter guns, but disadvantages as well.

I think the correct answer lies in how much you know about yourself. I live in Hawaii and hunt in the lava fields at an elevation of 6-7,000 feet. My rifle is and 8.5 lb Savage in 30-06. I never considered it a heavy rifle until I compared it with the new rifle a friend had acquired. I am recoil shy and would not like to shoot the '06 in a lighter rifle without a compensator - then I would also probably need hearing protection.

What kind of condition are your in? Would a pound or two make that much difference. Can you shave the weight from items in your pack? I think a good reliable, accurate rifle with good optics is more important than worrying about a couple of pounds.

I have been toying with the idea of putting together a lighter weight rifle in the near future so I'll be watching this thread too. My current rig is a 7mm mag that is probably around the 9# mark. Honestly, I don't think I'd want that rifle any lighter. I am pretty recoil sensitive and the weight certainly makes a difference. My friend has a Tikka t3 lite in the same caliber and its a pain to shoot. Like others have said, I think 8.5# for a 30-06 is about right. The 30-06 is manageable but it definitely kicks. If I were to get a 'lightweight rifle' it would have to be in something like 7mm-08 or smaller. The other issue I see with lightweight rigs is that they are hard to keep steady. Especially when you're heart is hammering like mine constantly is while elk hunting! I read something by David Petzal that said a marine sniper rifle (don't know the model) is built in .308 and weighs something like 16#. Consider that...

I really enjoy carrying a sub 7 pound, scoped rifle. It's only too heavy if you think it is. Not everyone can shoot a lightweight gun well. Not many free lunches in the world.

After buying a few light rifles, I find it difficult to carry anything else.

That said, I carried 8.5 lb rifles for years and never knew the difference.

I'm used to packing Weatherby Mark V's that range from 9 pounds 11 ounces to just under 11 pounds so when I am packing a Howa Hogue and it's weighing 8 3/4 pounds it feels a tad light to me. It comes down to what you shoot accurately and what you want to carry. If you're in well enough physical condition to hunt rough high country then a pound or two shouldn't be a deal breaker.

My ol 700 in -06 weighs around 8.5 w/Hogue fullbed stock,Talleys, Zeiss & ammo. Solid comfortable tackdriver.
I'd rather take more weight out of my pack if it was a problem...
I was looking at lighter a few years ago & figured I could save maybe a couple ounces without getting a 06 too light to shoot comfortably for me.

I tried the Sub-Seven pound rifles for a while but I’m back to about 9 pounds. It just feels right.

I think that most people would be better off losing a few pounds off their body than worrying about their standard weight rifles being too heavy.

I think my lightest rifle weight's about 7#. Most my rifle's with scope and ammo will go over 8#. I think myself that today's trend toward ever lighter rifle's and mag cartridge's is insane! If you have a problem carrying an 8# rifle I just don't see where a 6# rifle would be any better. The worst shooting rifle I ever owned was a Rem Mod 7. Never get another. But I think it was the barrel, looked like a straw! Nice looking rifle until I started shooting it. I had a mod 660 in 308 that some how ended up at my son's and that seemed to be light to me, never weighted it. Shot great, it had a 20" barrel but the contour of the barrel was much heavier than the mod 7. I think if people really tried much, carrying an 8# rifle is no big thing. My 30-06 is right at 8 1/2# with scope and ammo. No problem at all carrying it around all day.

Pretty good photo of the country I generally hunt in. Actually it's the road home.

h1N63b9l.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the replies. My dream (probably not realistic) is for this rifle to complete my collection of rifles. I feel like with my .223 mini action and .22lr marlin, a .30-06 will cover pretty much anything else I could ever plan on hunting. With Howa rifles available for about $400, I think they stand out far ahead of anything else in that range (like the Savage Axis or Mossberg Patriot). I feel pretty good about the weight after reading everyone's comments.

Like carrying a light rifle in the mountains but when it's time to shoot I love having the heavier rifle

Not sure what that hogue stock weighs, but you might be able to shave some weight there.
Enough for the rifle to feel heavier than it should. I carry my '06 all over the mountains, but I sure wouldn't mind a different stock.

I hope I never get to the point where I can't carry an 8 1/2 pound rifle up the mountain.

My dream is to never complete my collection of hunting rifles, there's always something on the horizon.

I've hunted with heavier and lighter guns. The weight of a rifle concerns me the least (fit, accuracy and durability are my main concerns). I don't know how much any of my guns weigh.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back