Cooking Tent?

upchurch_k

I’m planning my first Colorado elk hunt for this coming October, I’ll be hunting the northern part of Unit 62. I’ve read that some people say a designated cooking tent is a good idea and I’ve read that some people say it’s not necessary. Does anyone have any advice for me on the topic, haven’t really camped much in “bear” country. We’re going to have a 12’X20’ Alaknak tent and it would be nice to only have to put up 1 tent and be able to cook, lounge and sleep all in the same place.

If you are frying bacon (or frying anything, really) then everything in your tent is going to smell like food. We generally just re-heat pre-cooked meals and boil water inside the tent and fry/cook outside the tent.

Totally unnecessary just don't cook inside the tent. Unless I'm winter camping, the wind is howling, or its raining hard I always cook outside the tent, for one it's a fire hazard... there is always a chance someone could bump the stove and burn a hole in your gear, two the food smell will attract more than just bears... squirrels, mice, raccoons.

That said I have never camped with a tent you can stand up sooo maybe with the Alaknak you would be fine... as long as you skip the baccon ;)

We run an extended "porch"/tarp set up off the front on the tent. Like COEngineer said, we do quite a few bagged frozen meals that only require reheating in boiling water so we can do that on the wood stove if the weather really gets bad. That being said, we have only had to do that a couple of times. Mostly cooking under the tarp is fine and then we don't have food inside the tent at all. Here is a pic......thankfully the surplus tent is being replaced with a brand new Davis this year :)

Attachments

• camp.jpg
    camp.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Awesome ideas guys, we are actually planning on doing the frozen meals/drop in boiling water ourselves. I planned on bringing a pop up canopy to use as a "porch" so it sounds like I should be good to go with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back