Why the bleep not?

SFC B

I have resisted (for some reason) putting in for a CO moose tag over the 5 seasons I have hunted here telling myself that I will just "buy" a hunt in a few years. While that still may be what I end up doing I am going to start giving the draw a shot and see what it gets me. Moose is really my only "bucket list" animal and I might as well start being serious about it. Who else is putting in for moose in CO this year? I haven't even looked at the stats yet, do I have even a REMOTE chance of drawing something?

Like sheep and goats, you need to have 3 preference points before you actually have a shot at drawing a bull tag.

After that you get "weighted" points with your draw odds improving somewhat every year.

I'm in it to win it. Fingers crossed.

I have resisted (for some reason) putting in for a CO moose tag over the 5 seasons I have hunted here telling myself that I will just "buy" a hunt in a few years.
Quite possibly the worst decision yo could have made IMO now you have just stepped in line with everyone else that "couldn't afford" to pay for the tag up front. Could have been 5 years ahead of the back of the line

You should just keep waiting to purchase the tag that gives me one more shot at getting one in the draw! Just poking fun at you.:rolleyes:

Yep, I am building points now that I don't have to float the money up front. I have come across some decent bulls while elk hunting. I am 42 so I will probably be in my 70's when I draw.

My understanding of the way points are handled is you first apply 3 years and then you max out on preference points. Those do you no good unless tags are left over after all those applicants with preference points are taken care of previously in the draw.

In Year 4 you get your first bonus point. However, looking at the insanely complex process to create your random number it appears your likelihood of drawing is after you get your 10th bonus point. Has to do with the total of your bonus points being a divisor for the random number after is reversed and translated into Base 17 then driven in a Tesla for 4 hours, etc.

So, CO not requiring tag fees up front in 2018 will somewhat impact the draw in 4 years from now but will greatly impact the draw 14 years from now. Or maybe in 3 and 13. The process is so convoluted I just prefer to light a candle at Church and let the dripping wax pick the unit I apply to for CO sheep and moose and goat.

I am gonna do what I can and still plan on paying to hunt in a few years.....so if a CO license comes through it would be great but I am not putting all my eggs in the basket for sure.

I have 3 + 3 weighted and will probably never apply again in Colorado. Just don't want a $2,200 moose.
I've been lucky in Wyoming with 2 and hope to one day draw another. Spouse will get one in next year or 2 so that's fine with us.
How do you think your resident odds compare to Wyoming's resident odds? We at least have decent odds to draw more than one tag over a lifetime.

Somebody has to draw! Get your 3 points, and then get your name in the hat. I drew in MT with 1 in 2500 odds when you take into account the squaring of points and such. My good buddy that hunted that season with me when I got my moose drew the same unit the following year with about the same odds. Meanwhile, we talked with local ranchers who had been trying to draw that tag for over 40 years without luck. Drawing can be awfully bizarre sometimes..

I haven't even looked at the stats yet, do I have even a REMOTE chance of drawing something?

Yep, but you'll have to wait 3 years to have that remote chance, which may be remote-er by then. I have 3+2 and my chances are pretty darn remote as well. But hey, chances are slimmer to draw a tag if you don't put in at all, so go for it!

If moose is really a bucket animal, go all the way. To Alaska. Really, it is worth it. It is like absolutely nothing else.

I don't mean to disparage CO moose, but Moose and Alaska together like blueberry pie and vanilla ice cream.

Odds are tragic as it is, with the new system it will surely be much worse.. 20+ years applying in CO and I am compelled to agree that AK is the place to be for moose hunts

I have 3 + 3 weighted and will probably never apply again in Colorado. Just don't want a $2,200 moose.
I've been lucky in Wyoming with 2 and hope to one day draw another. Spouse will get one in next year or 2 so that's fine with us.
How do you think your resident odds compare to Wyoming's resident odds? We at least have decent odds to draw more than one tag over a lifetime.

Only one bull a lifetime here.....except for auction and raffle tags. Haven't looked at WY odds so can't really say.

If moose is really a bucket animal, go all the way. To Alaska. Really, it is worth it. It is like absolutely nothing else.

I don't mean to disparage CO moose, but Moose and Alaska together like blueberry pie and vanilla ice cream.

I am saving for the BBD but with this in the backyard I might as well give it a shot. What is it they say? "You can't win if you don't play" :)

When I get my butt back to MT I plan to put in for resident moose and stuffs every year, if I draw cool, but also plan to put a few $$ away every year so I can go to AK every few years for a hunt/fish trip aswell.

Wait 20 yrs for Colorado or wait 2 yrs for this http://www.bpcr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7311

For me, it was as much about Alaska as it was about the moose, so maybe that's where we differ. But the experience is like nothing else (and so are the backstraps).

I toured the Ballard Rifle facilities in Cody, Wyoming about ten years ago and have lusted for one ever since!

EXCELLENT write up, super neat rifle choice, great story, and congrats!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back