Any thoughts

You could put a new factory synthetic stock and timney trigger with one trip to brownells for less than $250. If you add the bedding kit you can glass bed the action and float the barrel for less than $300 and have a nice elk and deer rifle with less recoil than a 30-06 and plenty of ammo options for both.

EDIT: Having said that, I've got a base model browning xbolt in 26 Nosler and the recoil pad tames that "lightweight"(7lbs) magnum down pretty well.

Last edited:
Let me get this straight you got ok from wife to buy and new gun and you haven't yet? Go get the 30-06 you been looking at and be done with it!

Let me get this straight you got ok from wife to buy and new gun and you haven't yet? Go get the 30-06 you been looking at and be done with it!

This, My preference is to keep my old beat up and worn out rifles unbasterized and in their condition for posterity reasons. They are not just tools to me but artifacts of my past. Theres a lot of great rifle choices out there. Dont discount a slightly used rifle. Many are purchased shot a few times at a range and placed in a safe.

Dont discount a slightly used rifle. Many are purchased shot a few times at a range and placed in a safe.

Or a well used rifle for that matter. They have a lot experience and proven track records of accomplishments... :)

Personally, if it's less than a century old - it's "new". :)

Well, I've got a great wife and this rifle is going to be given to our son after all of the upgrades are completed. It is the first gun he killed a deer with and that is the only sentimental value I have to it. The trigger and stock have set me back about $300 so far on a 25 year old rifle. I love the .280 caliber because its not a .270 or 30-06 or 308. Nothing against any of these calibers but I've never been one to follow trends. Ammo can be bought for them with a little research and me and that gun have been killing deer for a long time.

Yes I still have the stock and will get it refurbished and sanded down so the barrel will float. The wood was extremely swollen on it before I replaced the stock. I am getting a little dismayed at the 4 week lead time on the cerakoting. I have called several shops around in Northeast Florida but that seems insane to me. If that doesn't happen, it will still make the trip to New Mexico this year. I will try to get some shooting done in the next few weeks and post the outcome.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back