Caribou Gear Tarp

Re-priming a live primer?

Seems the only things I could find in my research were problems when a shellholder was used instead of the collet, or possibly with Berdan primed cartridges. Not scared. mtmuley

Interesting, so it didn't happen.. To a .300 Win Mag. No it didn't didn't blow up the round. But it did didn't singe the powder.. Handy tip - do a little research and you'll see these didn't happens happen enough that people don't use kinetic pullers any more.

Bear in mind I have about 125 rounds under my belt; I'm not what one might call a grizzled veteran. That's why I'm asking about other's experiences.

I'm still very much in the just learning phase of re-loading, but I've been around guns my whole life and never known a primer to fire unless it was struck directly. Again, that's why I ask. I'd prefer not to go to the emergency room for brass shrapnel removal.

Last edited:
In my limited experience with reloading, I've had to use the impact puller like a half dozen times. Each time the bullet came out ok, reusable, but the case mouth was banged up. 5 rounds I had to pull because I forgot to prime them. I actually ran those through the re-sizer and salvaged probably 3 or 4 casings. The one this weekend was primed, so I just tossed it and kept the bullet.

Will an impact puller make a primer go off sometimes?

All I needed was one time.

#metoo.

Mine was probably due to an enlarged primer pocket but it was too long ago to remember. It went off about the same time the bullet dislodged and the powder dumped and there was no powder burned. But if it had, I doubt it would have blown up as the hammer's not exactly sealed. Watch out for the primer having a rocket effect though. I couldn't stand the impact puller even before that happened.

How do you like the Grip-N-Pull? I've been looking at them, but waiting for some reviews before I blow $40.00 to replace my Whack-A-Mole.

I like it WAY more than the hammer. I haven't tried any of the other pullers, so I don't know if it's the best one.

If you're not worried about saving the bullet, a pair of side cuts or a sturdy pair of vice grips can be used to pull a bullet using your press.

I've read enough issues with the impact pullers that I bought a collet set. Very much worth it to me, but I've not had to pull that many bullets...

when I was a kid I was depriming some live 8mm rem mag brass using full length die, the sound and cucussion of the primer going off still sticks in my mind, wasn't smart enough to remove the deprimer pin,,,, lesson learned though,,,, any more I fire the case in the gun,,, I don't take chances with primers,,

I had one blow up priming a case with the older lee prime handheld system, blew the plastic tray to bits, broke part of the handle and an emergency room visit to remove shrapnel from hand and a few stitches

bad luck follows me everywhere,,,,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back