Leupold VX5Hd 3-15x44 vs 56mm obj?

Badger_55

Getting close to purchasing an Xbolt Hells Canyon in either 300win mag or 28 nosler. Trying to decide what scope combo to throw on it. I use a horse scabbard alot so I know my 50mm obj on my BLR can be a tight fit without me throwing a bball bat in it for weeks prior. I am wondering from all of you experiences if I will be missing out alot if I went with the 44mm. I like the thought of the scope being mounted at a lower profile too. I'm not getting the Mcmillian stock so I wonder if this would be the best combo for shots out to 800yds. My BLR will do its job out to 500 with steel and I have a VX3 3.5-10x50 on that.
Also slightly torn between the Windplex reticle vs the Impact 29moa reticle. I have always been a hold over guy but I am looking to play with the CDS-ZL2 this year.

I wouldn't ever put a scope with an objective over 44mm on a hunting rifle. mtmuley

I wouldn't ever put a scope with an objective over 44mm on a hunting rifle. mtmuley

Thank you, thats was my gut feeling. I hunt with a buddy who runs a 4-25 vx6 56mm with 34mm tube on his 300RUM. I was wondering if that was overkill hunting Elk.
Can I ask you Mtmuley what your elk set up is?

Remington Stainless BDL in an Alaskan Ti with a Leupold 4-12x44 and a CDS dial marked in MOA. I load the 200 grain Accubond at 3200 fps. I've shot some pretty good groups right at 1000 and killed critters at non HT approved distances. It's a wicked elk killer. mtmuley

I'd get the 44mm objective, especially with the issues you mention in your post. I wouldn't call your buddies scope overkill, really more of personal choice. If there are minor differences in the 44 vs 56, your own reasons for considering the 44 seem to swing the choice that direction. I have the CDS-ZL2 on a VX6 and I really like that scope so far.

You answered the question yourself hunting on a horse. I like the 30mm tube with 44mm objective.

I've always thought that the Windplex reticle coupled with a CDS dial marked in MOA would be a simple, effective combo for a hunting rifle. mtmuley

I'm in the same boat. For some reason I can't talk myself out of the 56mm even though the 44 seems a little more practical. I have several 50mm's and I never have much problem. What's 6 more mm' s haha.

I'm in the same boat. For some reason I can't talk myself out of the 56mm even though the 44 seems a little more practical. I have several 50mm's and I never have much problem. What's 6 more mm' s haha.

I can't wrap my head around a 50mm objective on an elk rifle much less a 56mm. Why? mtmuley

My only thought was easier to acquire your target through the glass. Ive read that at longer ranges you would need it to bring in light while on the higher magnifications but with good glass I dont think that should be an issue and if it was then you are probably playing after shooting light. I am going to stick with the gut feeling of a 44mm obj. I have a 50 on my BLR and its a bugger to put in my scabbard. I'm excited to get my hands on that HD glass. I really enjoy Leupold products.

I have a 44mm that I’ll be selling shortly, windplex (171715). I wanted to have Leupold look it over and give it a clean bill of health before I sold it so I’m waiting for it to get back. I’m expecting it within the next 2 weeks. PM me if interested.

I can't wrap my head around a 50mm objective on an elk rifle much less a 56mm. Why? mtmuley

More light gathering and field of view. Has to be a reason they make the 56 other than a selling point. Am I wrong?

I have a 44mm that I’ll be selling shortly, windplex (171715). I wanted to have Leupold look it over and give it a clean bill of health before I sold it so I’m waiting for it to get back. I’m expecting it within the next 2 weeks. PM me if interested.

I have that same model on a Cooper 300 Win Mag, curious as to why you are selling...

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back