Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

SE Montana winter kill

Here you go...I found this shed in the Spring of 1997 in Western Montana (another severe snow year). It was laying on top of the snow with nothing but deer tracks around it. That was a sad year too...found a lot of dead deer that Spring.

No question this one was chewed on by deer:

0410180950.jpg

0410180949.jpg

Also, I was glassing a herd of whitetails one time while shed hunting and one of the deer picked up a shed and chewed on it for a while and dropped it. Not sure I have that shed anymore.

Wow ! Ok . My bad . Just never thought of that . Learn something every day . Deers gotta be hungry to chew on a horn .... hopefully most make it .

If what antlerradar is finding in regard to deer chewing on antlers, and correlates to the winter of 96/97 when I found that one, there is going to be a lot of carcasses.

The day that I found that shed, I also found a fawn whitetail laying in a depression in the snow that was unable to stand but still "alive". It was about half raining/half snowing and that poor deer was soaking wet and shivering. I've never felt more sorry for an animal in my life...and did the right thing. I doubt that deer weighed 35 lbs, even soaking wet...was damn near literally skin on bones.

I waited another couple weeks before I went out shed hunting again.

Last edited:
Apparently your a expert . Another guy that wants to shoot a trophy and thinks he should be able to every year .

Seriously, there's no reason why this is shouldn't be an obtainable goal. Maybe that's why there's been so many guys chime in on different ideas. I think I share a lot of the same feelings others share. I'm not out to get a meat buck, never have never will. Every year I am out looking for Mr. Big somewhere in this state, with some different measures taken and time it should be more than an obtainable goal obviously it's a touchy subject with everyone's different ideas and some guys agree and some don't. What's your deal anyways, you get pretty defensive about some of this bs. It's all just conversation, few jabs here and there but all fun. DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF.:cool:

The first picture is one of that I found yesterday. Notice how the end of the point is crushed by the deer's molars. The second is a picture of an antler I found years ago that was chewed on by rodents. Notice how you can see the individual marks made by the rodents front teeth made each time they took a bit.
I have found lots of antlers chewed badly by deer over the years. Usually the antlers are several years old and not nearly as hard as a fresh antler. Often I find fresh antlers with a few teeth marks but to find them with all of the points chewed off and several in a matter of a few hours is out of the ordinary. Makes me think that the deer are lacking in the mineral that they can get from the antlers. I don't think it is a stretch to think that the aggressive chewing of antlers and this past winter are related. It is also likely not a positive for antler growth this year.

Attachments

• DSCN1900.jpg
    DSCN1900.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 300
  • DSCN1901.jpg
    DSCN1901.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
I see Buzz beat me to the pictures. A good example of an antler chewed by deer.

Your pictures are a perfect example as well.

I don't think when you're finding fresh sheds, like what we've posted, chewed on/eaten by deer its a good thing...at all. Its also not by "chance" that we both found sheds like this in severe snow/weather years...

More confirmation that the deer in Montana are going to take it on the chin...

Seriously, there's no reason why this is shouldn't be an obtainable goal. Maybe that's why there's been so many guys chime in on different ideas. I think I share a lot of the same feelings others share. I'm not out to get a meat buck, never have never will. Every year I am out looking for Mr. Big somewhere in this state, with some different measures taken and time it should be more than an obtainable goal obviously it's a touchy subject with everyone's different ideas and some guys agree and some don't. What's your deal anyways, you get pretty defensive about some of this bs. It's all just conversation, few jabs here and there but all fun. DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF.:cool:

Your right it's all just good conversation. I just think a lot of it is wasted typing cuz they aren't going to shorten the season that I'll tell you right now . They (Fwp) want the season to run through thanksgiving so family's can hunt together or whatever and I honestly don't ever see it changing . So we as hunters need to make the best of it

Your right it's all just good conversation. I just think a lot of it is wasted typing cuz they aren't going to shorten the season that I'll tell you right now . They (Fwp) want the season to run through thanksgiving so family's can hunt together or whatever and I honestly don't ever see it changing . So we as hunters need to make the best of it

Yeah, because getting involved and demanding that the MTFWP actually manage is just too hard, and too much work.

Seriously, there's no reason why this is shouldn't be an obtainable goal.

All anyone has to do is show up at a FWP tentative meeting when there is a proposal to shorten a season or add restriction and they will see why its not obtainable. HT ideas are not the norm.

Making the change takes work, and hunters wanting more restriction usually don't show up.

Last edited:
What I'd like to know is outside if the guys on this website , if it came down to it , one vote , how many Montanan's would actually vote to shorten/restructure the season ? I'm very curious . For the record I would be in favor in a shorter season closing by November 10

Your nov 10 vote wouldn’t change a thing with the crap MT deer herds and rock bottom hunting.

What I'd like to know is outside if the guys on this website , if it came down to it , one vote , how many Montanan's would actually vote to shorten/restructure the season ? I'm very curious . For the record I would be in favor in a shorter season closing by November 10

To make a difference it would need to close on 11-1. Would you still support?

I had a LE MD permit last year and the bulk of the 45 permits were filled by 11-15.

I'd do it in heart beat, but I'd advocate 10/31 as the close for mule deer, possibly later for whitetail if it was shown they are less susceptible to pressure in November.

Your damn right I would. In the long run it would really show it self. Again, that's what I would do, I'm not 50k others.

Just my opinion but working on the road during the week, I'm more of the weekend warrior type so I enjoy the longer season. I'd be more for a limited quota. For 1 the antlerless tags available are totally asinine.

Outside of the members of this site, you wouldn’t have a snowball’s chance in Haiti of getting a majority of hunters to sign on to closing deer season end of day 10/31. How are the locals gonna fill their deer tags if they can’t drive around at the end of November and shoot a “decent” mule deer buck from their pickup if they can’t hunt the rut?

The above is the gist of what I have heard from many eastern MT residents. Some of whom are family and friends of mine.

Reading this thread and the snow totals bums me out. I'm guessing I'll know next week whether or not I'll have a tag in hand. I know some would say come hunt it, but I think I might look elsewhere within the state if I do end up with the tag, the refund doesn't seem to be an option with my current crew.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back