Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

SE Montana winter kill

Very cool animation. Would love to see that normalized to above/below long-term snowfall average - would be much more informative.

We could preserve opportunity and let more deer live by making the rut archery only.

Regular archery could still happen in September and the first part of October, then OTC rifle oct 15-nov 5, then back to archery. It’s not perfect and still a lot of hunting pressure but not having rifles in fairly open areas when deer are rutting would be sure to decrease some take.

Also, and i don’t know what the numbers are, but it seems like since the increase in population in Western ND, there has been more pressure in the ekalaka-Sidney area. Which makes sense, you have tens of thousands of more people within a couple hour drive, most of them have plenty of money, and their muley opportunities are limited where they live.

Why the need to hunt mule deer in the rut at all, archery, rifle or muzzleloader?

There is no biological reason to preserve opportunity by chasing deer in Montana for 11 weeks. My solution would be much more simple, shorten Archery to the month of September, close mule deer season on November 1st.

This is the exact problem, an engrained mindset that letting mule deer rut without being hunted just simply cant be an option.

I get that "tradition" dies hard...but, good grief.

Why the need to hunt mule deer in the rut at all, archery, rifle or muzzleloader?

There is no biological reason to preserve opportunity by chasing deer in Montana for 11 weeks. My solution would be much more simple, shorten Archery to the month of September, close mule deer season on November 1st.

This is the exact problem, an engrained mindset that letting mule deer rut without being hunted just simply cant be an option.

I’d love if we had the seasons like this. Would give me more time to chase elk and coyotes :)

I could live with closing mule deer bucks the first week of November. The tag I usually get closes about then anyway. The good ol boys ain't havin it though. mtmuley

Has the harsh winter been in the bighorns as well?

The snow pack in the Big Horns is above normal. Been staying in the 100 to 115 percent range most of the winter. North in to Montana the snow fall was as high as 300 percent of normal in a large amount of the south eastern part of the state.

I found four fresh antlers today that were badly chewed by deer. It is very unusual for me to find fresh antlers in the spring that are chewed up. In all the antlers I have found I doubt I have found a dozen. The only thing I can think of for this is that the deer are very deficient in the minerals provided by the antlers.

Because ‘opportunity’ is what may have a chance of going over with FWP. I’m fine with ending it November 1. I’m fine with not having a general rifle season for deer.
I’m fine with not even having a rifle season period. But compromise and baby steps are the only path that has any shot at ever causing change. Although that shot is slim and it’s pribably too late.

It’s hilarious you jumped all over me, as I probably support a more restrictive seer and elk season than 99% of other people.

Go to the rende, have a few cold ones and return not such an old grouch eh?

Last edited:
The deer chewed the antlers ? You sure it wasn't rodents ....mice specifically. Who knows I guess anythings possible . Here In eastern ND the town closest to me has had over 85" so far . Our record is 120ish

In the end MTFWP likes that non resident $. Probably going to be tough to see any change until it's to late.

8andcounting sometimes it’s good to listen to people that know what they are talking about. Hope that great 2 point doesn’t elude you this year.

Outside Froid MT. Today.

No, this isn’t normal.

Bird hunters won’t be happy.

Attachments

• C936E88C-019F-4732-AF5C-2B09ED2231B4.jpg
    C936E88C-019F-4732-AF5C-2B09ED2231B4.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 422
How much of this has spilled into the Devils Tower and Black Hills area of Wyoming?

Are you from froid? I married a froid girl and live not far away. Pheasants were already in a bad way from the drought before this weather. Hopefully we get a good hatch this year?

The deer chewed the antlers ? You sure it wasn't rodents ....mice specifically. Who knows I guess anythings possible . Here In eastern ND the town closest to me has had over 85" so far . Our record is 120ish

Rodents leave distinctive chew marks. Deer , cows and coyotes crush the tips of the antlers. Coyotes have pointed teeth that leave small puncture marks and since there were no cows in the pasture since last fall that leaves it to deer.

It looks like another 7" of snow this week. At this rate we will still have snow drifts in June.

I found four fresh antlers today that were badly chewed by deer. It is very unusual for me to find fresh antlers in the spring that are chewed up. In all the antlers I have found I doubt I have found a dozen. The only thing I can think of for this is that the deer are very deficient in the minerals provided by the antlers.

Is this a joke that I’m missing?

8andcounting sometimes it’s good to listen to people that know what they are talking about. Hope that great 2 point doesn’t elude you this year.

I just said I never heard of it . Apparently your a expert . Another guy that wants to shoot a trophy and thinks he should be able to every year . And I don't shoot 2 points . But maybe this year !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back