Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Taking my son along (?)

Gravelyctry

Some background first - I’m new to backpack hunting. I went on my first semi backpack hunt last year on a mule deer hunt in Nebraska. Had a lot of fun and learned quite a bit. It was somewhat expensive because I had nothing at all. I bought quality stuff, not top of the line, but not junk either due to financial constraints.

This spring, inspired by the fresh tracks episode where hunt talk members went bear hunting in Montana, my hunting buddy and I are planning to go on our own bear hunt.

My sons 16 now, and wekve gone hunting before quite a bit, but no backpack hunts. He’s a good kid, not afraid of work, and not a whiner. He’s fun to have along whether it’s turkey, deer, snow goose, pheasant, rabbit, or whatever. He wants to go, and I’d like to take him.

Now to the question - I know I’ll have to get him a pack, sleeping bag, tent, etc. (the basics). But I’m looking for places to reduce cost. I’ve got ideas on the basics from reading on this site and others, but since I haven’t really done this before, I’m not sure what little things I should double up on and what I shouldn’t.

I’m thinking I should just bring one rifle, even though I have 2 that would be suitable. Would you guys suggest just getting one tag, assuming it’s unlikely that we would both get an opportunity? Would you recommend getting him his own gps, knives, water packs, first aid, para cord, multi tool, etc.

I want to keep cost down for the trip, but not to the point that it takes away from the experience, if that makes sense.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, Neil

If you both want to hunt, you need 2 tags...no party hunting in MT. If you have 2 tags, bring 2 guns. If only one of you has a tag, one gun is fine, although bringing a 2nd in case you have gun issues is good idea when you are traveling that far for a hunt.

I should have been clearer- I was thinking I’d get one tag (for him) and I’d just come along and we’d work together. Just to save money.

Neil

Feels like I’m getting off topic, but if we both have a Gun, and he’s the only one with a tag, won’t that look like we’re party hunting with one tag?

Nope...you’re coyote hunting. But when I say bring 2, I mean just leave one in the truck. It’s there if you bang up a scope or something.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back