Wyoming Elk Unit 39

Pilgrim

Hey Folks:
Long time viewer; first time poster. I drew a tag for Unit 39, and I'm more excited than anyone my age should be. Anyway, I was hoping someone generally familiar with the Unit might be willing to share a little insight regarding road conditions in the northern half of the national forest portion. I'll have a 4WD pick-up, but they don't make them like they used to. I'm prepared to do some serious hiking, I'm just trying to figure out what I can reasonably expect in terms of road access. I've read other posts warning to get out if there's a big storm, but absent that, just wondering if the 4WD-designated roads are pick-up truck friendly, or if it is quad/side-by-side territory. Many thanks for any insights you're willing to share. (Feel free to PM me if you'd like.)

CALL the forest service office, order the topo NF map and ask them to send you a offroad and trail use map. Its the only legal way to know whats open and when. Most roads are decent up there but they can be washed out after spring melt/slides and it may or may not get fixed, just way it is now. Fyi you do need a atv sticker ($15) if you use one. Welcome to the board and you will have fun up there, congrats on tag.

I too drew this tag. Unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to go until the final week of the season. I understand this is going to make things more difficult, but it should be less crowded. Am I severely handicapping myself?

I too drew this tag. Unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to go until the final week of the season. I understand this is going to make things more difficult, but it should be less crowded. Am I severely handicapping myself?

I wouldn't say you're handicapping yourself, other than the later in the year when talking about hunting in the mountains the better chance you have of running into bad weather at those higher elevations. You just never know from the end of August on what the weather will do. We had over a foot of snow at 4000' elevation the first few days of October in 2013 when the higher elevations in the Big Horns and even the lower elevations east in the Black Hills had so much that thousands of cattle died. In 2015 when I was up in unit 45 we had several days the middle of September at 8,000' with a foot of snow and single digit temperatures. Then it warmed right up and the snow was gone within a week. Just be fully prepared with plenty of food, water and gas along with the ability to stay warm if you do get stranded, but it's best to watch the weather forecast closely such that you can bail out at a few minutes notice to get back lower on good highways. Normally though you'll have a day or two notice if something is going to be bad enough to cause you to bail out.

Last edited:
Cody did you get the type 9? Either way dont stress it, great unit and more elk than tags so you will be just fine, crowding isnt much of a problem either way. Biggest problem with going late is some areas have limited good places to camp and guys dont break down camps sometimes till real late in or evan after season (seldom is 16 day limit enforced). Hardest part is getting tag and you did that so focus on what you can control and get to gym...lol

Thank you gentlemen! I drew the type 1 tag. When I got the green light from the wife to apply I missed the part about my trip would have to be in parallel with one of her vacation weeks. When she reminded me of this fact after I drew the tag I had a minor panic attack. Thank goodness she has a vacation week during the season. I might be able to sneak away on the 24th, but it is looking like I'll be heading out on the 26th. When I applied I knew weather was going to be a factor, now it just more so.

I was going to spike in a mile or two from the truck, should I abandon this plan now and camp at the truck?

Thank you gentlemen! I drew the type 1 tag. When I got the green light from the wife to apply I missed the part about my trip would have to be in parallel with one of her vacation weeks. When she reminded me of this fact after I drew the tag I had a minor panic attack. Thank goodness she has a vacation week during the season. I might be able to sneak away on the 24th, but it is looking like I'll be heading out on the 26th. When I applied I knew weather was going to be a factor, now it just more so.

I was going to spike in a mile or two from the truck, should I abandon this plan now and camp at the truck?

I would plan on camping at your truck with the option of spiking out a night or two if the weather is decent and you're into elk quite a ways from your main camp. Being flexible, but also smart in how you hunt in the mountains is the key. You'll love the area for it's scenic beauty along with the number of animals you should see if the weather cooperates.

I hunting the unit last year. Remember the deer hunt opens on the 15th and runs to the 24th. Because of that we chose to hunt the last 10 days of the season. Arrived on the 24th, ran into a number of guys during the week that went home after the opener due to the hunting pressure and came back the last week. If you hunt the top you will be at 9000 ft, most mornings were 7 to 10 degrees, a couple got down to 3. Just be prepared for the cold temps and you will be fine, especially if you camp. Had some snow on and off but never had a problem getting around. Some roads did drift up but the guys on the razors just blew thru them.

Send me an email or pm and I can help out, just let me know.

Terry

Hey guys, I too have the type 1 tag for here and wonder how hard it is to find a place to setup camp? Are there a lot of camps setup weeks in advance? I will be getting up there a couple of days before the opener though and was thinking of setting up around the Devils Canyon rd area. If this is a popular place, does anyone have any suggestions? I’ll be towing a 10’ cargo trailer as well.

My wife and I got married in Elk unit 39...shows it's importance to us.

Pray for cold weather but little to no snow. Any more than a little bit and a 4wd truck is useless in the more remote northern end. The cold weather will get the elk moving in from neighboring units without losing mobility.

How did your hunts go??I may use up my points this year on a type 1 tag in unit 39.How bad is the hunting pressure??Thinking about getting my son a type 4 tag for his first hunt west to join me.Can you archery hunt the tail end of archery season in this unit still on type 1 and archery stamp?Getting tired of chasing units and being a point or 2 behind in drawing.Units 38 and 40 are also possibilities for me in special draw.
Trying to decide and unit 39 offers me 100% draw odds.

I've been working on my hunt recap, need to sit down and finish it. Long story short I was successful. I went during the last week of the season and still saw a lot of hunters. However, with a little walking I was able to find some solitude. 39 is a small unit, which has its pros and cons. I don't believe this unit allows archery hunting with a type 1 tag, it is apparently a killer archery unit.

Yeah,looked it up and no archery hunting on type 1.Did you see many mule deer?Trying to decide if it's worth getting my son a deer or cow tag

I was up there for the opener and saw some does and fawns and a couple of small forked horn bucks and that was about it.

I was there for the rifle opener too. Didn't get an elk -- despite Randy all but guaranteeing me one in his response to my original post. :) Did see a couple nice mule deer that the game warden said got pushed on to 39 from 38 due to the cold and snow, but, of course, I didn't have a deer tag. The other posters were spot on about being prepared for the cold and the snow during rifle. Good luck to those applying this year. Hope to get back there myself before I'm too old ... if I'm not already.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back