Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Howdy from ID

Focus

Hi Hunt Talkers,

I discovered HT back in the fall when I was looking for pronghorn and field dressing advice prior to a trip to WY with my son. We both filled tags, his first big game critter and my first since 2000. Yes, I had quite a dry spell in my big game hunting mostly due to youth sports and competitive shooting.

Now in my early 50's I truly understand what Big Fin means by "you will run out of health before you run out of money". Having youth sports in the rear view mirror (mostly) and deciding I can put off competitive shooting 'til I'm older and more feeble (I know a guy that's 82 that still shoots USPSA matches on occasion) I've decided to devote my recreation time to hunting again.

I'm presently training 4-5 times a week, studying regs from ID, MT and WY and enhancing my gear package in anticipation for Spring Bear in April and of course deer, elk and antelope starting in Sept. My user name Focus is a personal reminder to me to focus on my hunting goals and what's important in life in general.

I've been ghosting HT for quite some time now and decided to participate in some discussions. I feel all of us have something to give to the hunting community and I'm constantly amazed at the depth of knowledge and opinions on this site.

Best of luck,

Focus

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Idahoan. I understand how youth sports can put a crimp on your free time, but it is definitely worth it. Enjoy the time you have with your son. Sounds like you might have him hooked on hunting with that trip to Wyoming. Hope the two of you will be able to make many more great memories this upcoming year.

Welcome. I understand where you're coming from, as I too went for many years without hunting much, life can really get busy. I still struggle to find the time, but when I do I always include my sons. Looking forward to to seeing your future adventures and feel free to share some pics from last year's father-and-son adventure.

Welcome from MN ! I'm sorry to say that Randy's saying is not exactly true.."you will run out of health before you run out of money"...I could EASILY run out of money before health...LOL. I'm not exactly sure where he came up with that saying, but IMO, it's not anywhere near true. But for sure welcome.

Last edited:
Welcome. I understand where you're coming from, as I too went for many years without hunting much, life can really get busy. I still struggle to find the time, but when I do I always include my sons. Looking forward to to seeing your future adventures and feel free to share some pics from last year's father-and-son adventure.

IMG_6231.jpg

The kid hammered it from 220 yds with a 120gr Nosler BT out of a .260 Rem.

Thank you John Cushman! I really enjoyed the videos of your MT deer hunt with Randy last fall. That series of videos and the podcasts that talk about it have inspired me to put in for a region 7 deer tag and have a go at 'em.

And thanks to everyone else for the welcome......sorry the photo didn't post in the right orientation...still trying to figure that part out.

Welcome from MN ! I'm sorry to say that Randy's saying is not exactly true.."you will run out of health before you run out of money"...I could EASILY run out of money before health...LOL. I'm not exactly sure where he came up with that saying, but IMO, it's not anywhere near true. But for sure welcome.

Mn hunter, I've chosen to paraphrase Randy's quote to "I can make more money, I can't make any more time" and I try to remember that, when spending time with my youngest son, the only one left at home.

Focus, welcome from another Idahoan, and enjoy the time with your son, those times fly by quickly

Back