Savage 99, 5 year project

jryoung

I finally completed a stock refurbish on a Savage 99 I got 5 years ago. The old stock, nothing exciting, was starting to chip on the outer layer of varnish so having zero wood finishing skills and a good bit of doubt it took me a bit to finish. It took me three years just to work up the gumption to hit it with some citriistrip.

disassembled.jpg

raw.jpg

I figured that I would just use linseed oil and try not to burn my house down, but after a couple of coats I wasn't happy with the results. It was just a little flat.

oil 1.jpg

oil 2.jpg

So it sat in the garage for a couple of more years until my wood geek buddy told me to use something called Rubio Monocoat. The difference may not be that relevant of the internet, but its pretty substantial to the naked eye and I'm really happy with the results. Now hopefully it won't take me as long to get it dialed in at the range.

finished 1.jpg

finished 3.jpg

finished 4.jpg

finished 5.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great. Ive been on the prowl for a model 99 in .300 savage for a while now.

Nice job. Show an up close on the mono coat if you can. The picture shown is a tick further away and at a different angle, but still looks like some difference.

Also, what caliber?

Last edited:
Nice rifle. You have a nice piece of wood and it looks like you did a nice job.

Straight linseed oil is not an easy or normal finish to work with, but a mix of linseed with spar varnish and turpentine or mineral spirits is a good, durable and repairable finish.

I use Permalyn a lot as well. Made by Laurel Mt. Forge, it is a wipe on oil with a little polyurethane that lasts well. I use it mostly on match rifles which take a bigger beating than hunting rifles.

One of these days, I'll have to have a 99 in some sort of .30 caliber with iron sights.

It's 99F in 284 winchester. I have it's (mostly) twin in 358 as well.

Here's some pics of the right side of the butt. From original, to linseed, to rubio. I took the latest back in the garage so it's a fair lighting comparison to the linseed. It's hard to tell under the fluorescent, but the rubio highlights the reds better and has just a light touch of gloss/sheen/chatoyance that looks nice.

20160712_193649.jpg

20160713_122902.jpg

20180225_090144.jpg

Last edited:
That look's really good! Can you buy it in smaller than a gallon size? $50 a gallon is out of my price range to finish one rifle. How do you apply it? I've used Tru Oil for years but one or two coats won't do it for me. I use a piece of 400 grit wet/dry paper to put it on and rub in circles. Slowly fill the grain as I go. I see they used that stuff for floor coating too. Must be good stuff!

Lovely word....chatoyance. Sounds exactly like it's definition. Liking the metal patina with the refinish JR....well done sir.

I was wondering if you were thinking about a rust blue of the barrel and maybe case color the action. As it is looks pretty nice from here however. Just need a Marbles tang sight to top it off. :)

That look's really good! Can you buy it in smaller than a gallon size? $50 a gallon is out of my price range to finish one rifle. How do you apply it? I've used Tru Oil for years but one or two coats won't do it for me. I use a piece of 400 grit wet/dry paper to put it on and rub in circles. Slowly fill the grain as I go. I see they used that stuff for floor coating too. Must be good stuff!

You can buy the Rubio finishes in sample jars. We use their products in high end custom homes. mtmuley

Lovely word....chatoyance. Sounds exactly like it's definition. Liking the metal patina with the refinish JR....well done sir.

chatoyance- the state of irritation one experiences at being in the presence of someone with a superlative possession of obscure words and the ability to utilize them in ordinary conversation. "I felt a flash of chatoyance as J.R. demonstrated his language skills while showing us pictures of a really cool gun on which he had done an excellent job of refinishing the stock." -Hunttalk New Urban Dictionary 2018 version

284 is a crazy cool chambering for that rifle! Well done on it and the refinish. I'm thinking strongly that a 99 would make a great Hoosier whitetail rifle for me, I just need to break my cheapskate-ness...

chatoyance- the state of irritation one experiences at being in the presence of someone with a superlative possession of obscure words and the ability to utilize them in ordinary conversation. "I felt a flash of chatoyance as J.R. demonstrated his language skills while showing us pictures of a really cool gun on which he had done an excellent job of refinishing the stock." -Hunttalk New Urban Dictionary 2018 version

I agree with Gerald!!:cool:

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back