PEAX Equipment

Pronghorn Reading Material Suggestions

kurtm2323

Hey all,

I'm looking for some good resources to help better prepare myself for pronghorn hunting. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've read good things about "Hunting Trophy Antelope" by the Eastmans, but can only find it for like $40 or more.

I've done a lot of reading on hunting a variety of critters but none come to mind specifically about antelope. Usually anything antelope-related comes from books about cartridges (think O'Connor or Jamison or Hagel). These guys usually weave some kind of story about critters in with whatever cartridge they are describing.

Honestly I've learned more about antelope hunting reading the posts here on HT than I've learned anywhere else.

Focus

Definitive work: Pronghorn: Ecology & Mangemt: Ecology and Management.

Be prepared to spend money.

I am currently reading Pronghorn: Ecology & Management, rather than spend the $95 Amazon was asking for it, I just requested it from my local library. They brought in a copy from a local university on Inter-Library loan for $2.50.
I enjoyed the Eastmans book as well, they list it at $25 on Eastmans.com, not sure how much their shipping charge is.

Not as hunting focused, but a couple of inexpensive ones that I enjoyed were: "Built for Speed: A Year in the Life of Pronghorn" by John Byers which follows the pronghorn of the National Bison Range through their yearly cycle of life and "Antelope Country:pronghorns:The Last Americans" by Valerius Geist (this one does have some hunting and lots of good pictures)

Not a lot of mystery to antelope. Probably the funniest big game hunt you’ll go on. Read this board and ask questions.

If eastmens wrote it, that paper is probably more useful at other end of body. Its antelope hunting: not hard! If your after a good buck i suggest you focus on videos and and pics. Lope are some of the hardest animals to judge size on, focus on learning on what to look for.

Thanks everyone! I know I could get away with not reading books on the subject however, it just gets me that much more excited to go.

I always love to read as much as possible on an animal before I go hunt it. Same with its geography. Some great Pronghorn books i would check out are Antelope Country by Valerius Geist, American Serengeti by Dan Flores and a book called Prairie Ghosts. The author's name Escapes me but you'll find it easily on Amazon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chughes
Back