Scope question

CTELK83

Looking at putting a new scope on a winchester model 70 extreme weather as in 338 win mag. Looking at leupold VX 5HD 2-10... questions are:
Using this for moose an elk, should I get firedot or std duplex Ok?
Also side focus worth the added cost?
CDS system worth added cost?
And there's a place online "Big supply shop" sells scopes for like 150$ less then I can find anywhere. Are they legit?
Thanks all

Personally, I would opt for the Leupold VX5 HD 3-15x44 with either duplex or duplex fire dot. Beautiful piece of glass imo.

Get with Schmalts on here or his shop Predator Optics. He will treat you right!

The reticle choice is completely up to the user and what they find to be comfortable for them. For me, I like a duplex reticle over the fire dot. I don’t believe that side focus is necessary in a hunting scope based on how I use mine, but your uses may differ from mine. I do like the CDS dials and have found them to be useful on my hunting rigs and therefore think they are well worth the extra money. I can’t comment on the online store as I’ve never heard of them til your post.

I’ve got a VX-3i 3.5-10x40 on my Winchester 70 in .325. I have 3 of these and love them. Nothing fancy but works great.

I am between 2-10 and 3-15... I really don't think I'd take a shot past 3 or 4 hundred yards and this is for elk and moose, so it's not like I'm shooting woodchuck.
I'm leaning away from firedot.
But what about the CDS system? Worth it? I am not the guy who puts 100s of shots down range. I site the rifle in and shoot at the range a handful of.times before season. I have full confidence in my shooting abilities. Don't want to give off the wrong impression. But in my head, if I'm not shooting out at 5 hundred plus, do I really need it?

Yeah, I would just go with some form of duplex also. I see you are from NY. If you buy the scope with the cds and sight it in in NY and then go out west and gain several thousand feet of elevation, your drop chart is going to be slightly different. Meaning you would need a different/another cds dial for that elevation. Although, elevation doesn't really impact your bullet trajectory at 100 and 200 yards.

Once you start moving out to 300 and 400 yards you're going to see a difference that I, personally, would not be comfortable not compensating for. You might want to forget the cds and just go with a traditional external turret with moa adjustments.

The only downside to this is that you will need to carry a range card with you. Big deal? I don't think so. When you go out west in this case, you'll just change the elevation in whatever ballistics calculator you decide to use, and it will give you your new drop data. Make a new range card for that elevation and now you're adjustments will be spot on for any range you shoot out west. This is the route I would go.

I do not shoot a .338 but on my 300 wsm I have a 4.5-14x40 VX 3 with a B&C reticle. It works great for me. That reticle is simple enough but very useful out to 450 yds. I have hardly if ever used at 14 power but it could be handy for a longer shot. IMO a larger objective would be more weight than the light gathering ability you gain. If that makes sense.

Thanks for the comments. Didn't even think about the elevation messing with my bullet drop. Think I'll stay with non-cds, duplex 2-10. I prefer to get under 300 yards away anyway... now I'll have too!
Is a 338 win mag really a "long range" round anyway? I feel like lapua, and 7mm mag are more the long range rounds

Personally, I like having the Firedot. When it's off, you can't really tell you're not looking at a Duplex. It's a little bit more expensive, but I find it useful in low light conditions. Just be sure to turn it way down low before the hunt.

Side focus for a 2-10 scope isn't necessary. But at 15x and up, it's very helpful and arguably essential. The depth of field gets very low at higher magnification.

I like having the CDS. But as others have mentioned, a good MOA turret is almost as valuable. There is something comforting about ranging, dialing, and not having to think when the pressure is on.

Personally, I like the 3-15 and 3-18 focal range. IMO, they are ideal for a western hunting rifle scope. But you'll no doubt be happy with any of those higher end Leupolds.

Forget all the extra turrets and dots. At 400 yards, put crosshairs on the back line and shoot. Unless you intend to practice at 500 yards plus, you don’t need to try that in the field.

Personally, I would opt for the Leupold VX5 HD 3-15x44 with either duplex or duplex fire dot. Beautiful piece of glass imo.

I’m with this guy. 10x just is not enough.
I teally like the fire dot and I did not think I would. It is a nice feature. I have it in a vx5 and a vx6. Im in love!

Personally I own the VX-5 3-15x44 in firedot. I love this scope, the firedot is really nice in low light conditions, especially against a dark background but it's not a must.

When it comes to elevation and the CDS dial you need to call Leupold to confirm, but when I ordered mine they said the elevation range is +/- 2000ft, (not sure on how accurate that is but that is what he told me). So if you live at 3000ft they said you can put your CDS at 5000ft and still be within tolerance of CDS. This will allow you to hunt up to 7000ft as well. You also get the first one for free with VX5 and can get an additional one for ~$80 if you hunt at different elevation and temperature.

You mentioned you are "not a guy who puts 100s of shots down range" I think this is who the CDS is ideally made for. You sight it in before season and then trust your CDS. This way in the moment when things are happening quick you don't have to think.

As far as 2-10 vs 3-15 power my thought is you probably don't need the 15 power for most hunting situations. However, if you can afford the the more expensive one get it, as it'll be the last one you need.

Last edited:
FD is the shizits...imperceptible in off-mode but sorely missed in light conditions when you don't have it. I keep mine on the tiniest setting.

I own a VX-R, VX-3 and VX-6.

With this variety I have a combination of side-focus, firedot and regular duplex.

Personally, I prefer no side-focus an no firedot. The side-focus is one more thing to adjust and I don't shoot far enough to need to adjust for parallax. As for the firedot, its one more battery and piece of electronics to worry about and probably a few more ounces to carry... they all add up.

As for magnification, I think 2-10 is great but it depends on your application. My VX6 is 3-18 and I wish I had just gotten 2-12.
That is my $.02

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omcqueen
Back