DIY Mule Deer

SweetTalker

Hey all. New member here from Iowa. I'm looking at a DIY hunt for Mule Deer for fall of 2018. I'm looking for an OTC or a high probability draw, preferably for rifle. I've looked at Idaho, and some of the more popular units out there seems crazy packed according to the hunt statistics. Are there any other good states to consider, or any other better units? Trophy quality isn't a big issue, just looking to get away from some crowds. Thanks in advance for any ideas or help!

Welcome....Montana... deadline is March 15th, high likelihood of drawing, and plenty of public land.. lots of mule deer and quality if you look hard

I'd suggest Montana, tags are easy to draw.... Tons of deer, nothing huge but some quality if you put the time in. 5 weeks of rifle.... could do 6 week of archery with that as well if you want. not a far drive (I'm from Minnesota and its 10 hr to where I hunt). Only about 4,000 tags given out for the entire state for NR (Montana is 94 million acres). Only down side is cost.

I've taken my mulies in Eastern Wyoming. Not a lot of hunters, but there is a lot of land that is private and leased up but worthwhile For sure. Being closer than Idaho will leave you with more time to hunt and less time driving.

Where in Iowa are you? I'm outside of Story City.

welcome to the forum. Wyoming is worth looking into, some units can be drawn with 0 points. and you always have a chance in the random draw.

Not a mountain hunt, but Nebraska is worth a look. Sandhill muley's with a pretty cheap non-res tag!

There are a few in Colorado that are near 50% odds with zero points. I imagine they will require you to put the miles on to get away from other hunters but there is always a chance of a great buck in any unit

welcome! We hunt Colorado and have taken some great bucks. We see a lot of deer every year.

If you draw for a tag let me know. I'll be doing Non-resident montana deer and could use a hunting partner if schedules align.

Hey all. New member here from Iowa. I'm looking at a DIY hunt for Mule Deer for fall of 2018. I'm looking for an OTC or a high probability draw, preferably for rifle. I've looked at Idaho, and some of the more popular units out there seems crazy packed according to the hunt statistics. Are there any other good states to consider, or any other better units? Trophy quality isn't a big issue, just looking to get away from some crowds. Thanks in advance for any ideas or help!

Colorado has rifle seasons that span across the entire fall - something will definitely suit your schedule. Study the reg booklet and draw odds. There are high country units a NR can get into pretty easy.

Idaho is a great place.. and you can avoid crowds. Enough steep stuff in some places that 95% of people won't get to it. No advance planning required if they haven't sold out of tags - buy one when you get there.

Also, lots of WY general deer units that can be drawn in the random draw. Short drive. Have fun. Mule deer hunting is great, I wish I would have started 10 years before I did....

Never been to MT, but you can hunt the rut which is a huge advantage, as you can imagine.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back