PEAX Equipment

Colorado Preference Point Question

Cerebral Stalker

So I have been looking into how Colorado awards preference points. Here is what the 2018 Colorado Big Game Brochure states.

"Specific preference-point hunt codes are listed at the beginning of each species section in this brochure. Entering this hunt code as a first choice on your application automatically awards you a point, if eligible. You can choose other hunt codes as your second, third or fourth choices."

I just have a few questions.

1.) Can you apply for and receive only a preference point without entering a second, third, or fourth choice?

2.) I believe a preference point for a nonresident would cost $53. $40 for the preference point, $10 for the Habitat Stamp fee, and $3 for the
application fee. Is this correct?

3.) Is there anything other than the obvious (age, citizenship, etc.) that might make someone ineligible?

Thanks in advance.

you are able to apply for just points, the code is in the yearly hunting rule book, but you will have to submit the entire cost of the license, and everything but point cost is refunded, plus processing fee

you are able to apply for just points, the code is in the yearly hunting rule book, but you will have to submit the entire cost of the license, and everything but point cost is refunded, plus processing fee

Actually from what I understand Colorado has changed things up this year. You will be charged the 40 dollars point fee plus the 3 dollar app fee per animal but the 10 dollar stamp fee is only charged once regardless of how many animals you build points for. Unless you have a hunting/fishing license from last year then the point fee is waved and you only pay the stamp and app fee. Also yes you can just put in the point code as first choice and leave the other choices blank.

At least that's my understanding of the new rules if I'm wrong someone please correct me.

Actually from what I understand Colorado has changed things up this year. You will be charged the 40 dollars point fee plus the 3 dollar app fee per animal but the 10 dollar stamp fee is only charged once regardless of how many animals you build points for. Unless you have a hunting/fishing license from last year then the point fee is waved and you only pay the stamp and app fee. Also yes you can just put in the point code as first choice and leave the other choices blank.

At least that's my understanding of the new rules if I'm wrong someone please correct me.

I think you're right - In fact, I'm pretty sure you only have to pay for a license if you draw, even if you're applying for a controlled hunt and not just a preference point. I could be wrong, but that's my understanding of the new rules.

My recollection is that if you bought a hunting license in the previous year (ending March 31 or thereabouts), the PP fee is waived. I have been known to buy a small game license in the middle of March.

If you have applied in the past and received a tag, I believe they wave the preference point fee..... Correct me if I'm wrong because every year I've applied I got a tag for archery.

If you have applied in the past and received a tag, I believe they wave the preference point fee..... Correct me if I'm wrong because every year I've applied I got a tag for archery.

As long as it was the previous year. Any tag, hunting or fishing license the year prior gets you out of the 40 dollar fee. Any year before that does not.

I had a great experience calling the CO Hunt Planner department. Answered my questions and offered advice. They are separate from customer service which had a 30+ minute wait. The Hunt Planner answered right away.

My recollection is that if you bought a hunting license in the previous year (ending March 31 or thereabouts), the PP fee is waived. I have been known to buy a small game license in the middle of March.

This is correct and I believe is the behavior that CPW is encouraging. If you spend $56 (non-res) on an annual fishing or small game license, it is cheaper than paying the preference point fees for 2 or more species. The State benefits because a hunting or fishing license qualifies for more federal funding (Pittman-Robertson or Dingall-Johnson).

This is correct and I believe is the behavior that CPW is encouraging. If you spend $56 (non-res) on an annual fishing or small game license, it is cheaper than paying the preference point fees for 2 or more species. The State benefits because a hunting or fishing license qualifies for more federal funding (Pittman-Robertson or Dingall-Johnson).

Sorry for asking for clarification but I like this idea. I did not purchase a license last year in Colorado, just applied for the point. I am planning on doing the same this year. I like the idea of buying a license as opposed to paying the per-species fee, however, if I buy a license now (March 1, 2018) will my fees be waved for this application period?

So correct me if I'm wrong. I have a big game license in CO in 2016, I did not get charged the $40 dollar fee per species last year because I had one in 2016.... But this year I will be charged $40 per species? If so, wouldn't it be smarter for me to just get a $56 annual fishing or small game license, which then wouldn't make me pay $40 for the 5 species I applied for?

So correct me if I'm wrong. I have a big game license in CO in 2016, I did not get charged the $40 dollar fee per species last year because I had one in 2016.... But this year I will be charged $40 per species? If so, wouldn't it be smarter for me to just get a $56 annual fishing or small game license, which then wouldn't make me pay $40 for the 5 species I applied for?

I set a reminder for September to buy a fishing license if I did not draw a tag in CO that year. If I drew a tag then I ignore the reminder. Then, as apply the following year I avoid point fees.

Yep, if you buy a turkey tag this spring the point fee will be waived for next years deer app, for example.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rimfire45
Back