Stove options

jeffraines

So I’ve got a dilemma. I’m stuck between two types of stoves. This is for a 12x14 wall tent.

On one hand, the nu-way stoves seem nice. I really like the idea of the smaller footprint and the ability to have it on instantly, and likewise off instantly. No worrying about gathering wood or stoking a fire. While I’m aware that you need propane, anytime I bring the wall tent it’ll be car camping so throwing some propane in the back of the truck isn’t an issue. I’ve heard of people having issues with it heating, though. Some people have said that it doesn’t really do that good of a job, while others think it’s awesome and love it.

The old fashioned wood stove also seems nice, but keeping dry wood around camp(or bringing it with) is an additional chore. Then there’s the upkeep, stoking the fire or rebuilding it after a day of hunting.

I guess I’m looking for opinions from people who have had both. While the idea of the wood stove sure seems nice, I just know after a long day of hunting when I’ll likely be back to camp after dark, I’m not sure I’m going to want to bother with rebuilding a fire... same with the morning. The propane sounds nice in theory as well... if it’s not that efficient or won’t really heat the tent any appreciable amount then it’s a waste of time.

What would you do?

Wall tents and wood stoves go together like peanut butter and jelly. I’ve never used a propane stove in a wall tent, so I’m not much help. Call me a traditionalist, but I believe there’s just something inherently awesome about a crackling wood fire heating a canvas wall tent.

Last edited:
Wall tents and wood stoves go together like peanut butter and jelly. Yes.

I have this one and like it - flat works in MT November situations. My tent is a 12x14.
http://fourdog.com/four-dog-dx-camp-stove/ There are lots of similar types out there. I like a big stove with adequate door gasket material. I know some guys that like really big stoves....

I also alternatively use a Mr. Buddy big buddy heater for times the nights aren't as cold. Two 20 propane tanks hooked up to it last about 4 nights on medium heat, sometimes bumped to high to get things warmed up quickly.

Both methods work exactly as I like 'em to, but gotta agree, the woodstove is cooler. But then again the propane's easier. Such good dilemmas to suffer.......

Wall tents and wood stoves go together like peanut butter and jelly. I’ve never used a propane stove in a wall tent, so I’m not much help. Call me a traditionalist, but I believe there’s just something inherently awesome about a crackling wood fire heating a canvas wall tent.

X2 4 dog stove is the only way to go. If you run out of propane at 02:00 you will have a wood stove the next year.

I wouldn't even try to argue the cool factor of the wood stove at all. I'm typically a go-go-go person when it comes to hunting trips... I may show up a day early, but its not to make camp, its to do a final scout of the area... so camp goes up as quickly as possible and away I go until the evening. Im just afraid I'll buy the wood stove and after a couple trips end up buying the propane due to ease of set up.

My thought like some others above would offer that you should plan to enjoy the best of both worlds. Especially if you are going to be setting up your camps from what you have hauled in with your truck. No long pack trip with horses or other means.

Wood Stoves of the right size and ability to breathe and draft are great. Both for providing heat production and "ambience".

But for a number of years my wife and I have been bringing along a propane heater when we have been at trailheads and other dispersed camping sites. Where we are not needing to watch weight and bulk with a horse pack trip. It is great to have. And pretty cheap. We just bring along a propane bottle or two. Same size as a regular gas BBQ. And a two burner heater that screws on top of the container. It works great for us to be able to turn it on next to where we are sleeping in the morning and get the tent warm in a few minutes. Get dressed and go hunting. And the same for getting into camp at night. Turn it on for a few minutes while we build a fire in the wood stove and it begins to do its thing. We use the wood stove as the main heat source. But the propane works well as a compliment to having wood. And the cost to buy a setup and run it isn't that much really.

Enjoy!

We use both, a cheap tank top propane burner for taking the chill off in the morning and a wood stove through the evening. Load it up when you go to bed, tent stays warm for a few hours. The key is a good sleeping bag, you don't want to rely on the stove to keep you warm.

Ditto, use both. I have a Mr Heater Hunting Buddy that I use in the morning to take the chill off getting ready to go out for the day. At night I fire up the wood stove. If I get back to camp really late I just run the heater while getting ready for bed. I don't usually get up during the night so by morning the wood stove isn't providing too much heat anyway so a really good sleeping bag is key as fowl punishment says. It's the best of both worlds.

Another vote for four dog stove - outstanding piece of equipment. I have the three dog for a 12x12 spike tent. I use the buddy propane heater for the AM when I don't build a fire. Get stuck in some nasty weather and you'll be so happy you went for the wood option.. I usually pack both.

Wall tents and wood stoves go together like peanut butter and jelly. Yes.

I have this one and like it - flat works in MT November situations. My tent is a 12x14.
http://fourdog.com/four-dog-dx-camp-stove/ There are lots of similar types out there. I like a big stove with adequate door gasket material. I know some guys that like really big stoves....

I also alternatively use a Mr. Buddy big buddy heater for times the nights aren't as cold. Two 20 propane tanks hooked up to it last about 4 nights on medium heat, sometimes bumped to high to get things warmed up quickly.

Both methods work exactly as I like 'em to, but gotta agree, the woodstove is cooler. But then again the propane's easier. Such good dilemmas to suffer.......

We do both, as well. Not around long enough in the AM to bother with fire, so propane to knock the chill off. Wood of the evening. Have been known to cook and/or heat water right on stove. Really cold nights may find the propane on low through the night for after fire dies out. We have a FourDog (titanium cause we horse pack sometimes) and it has been great, even at the truck.

Agree that if weight or space is not an issue, the partnering of a wood stove and propane heater is the way to go. Especially in the morning when you just need to warm up and then not leave with a stove full of burning wood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back