Beginner looking for advice on montana

robloft

I am planning my first elk hunt this year for Montana. I am looking at a few districts around where regions 3, 4, and 5 all meet. Can anyone give any advice on the general units that are in that area? The areas are north of Bozeman and east of Helena around White Sulfur Springs. I am not looking for honey holes just advice on areas I should focus on where I can at least see elk. I'd love to see a bull elk and get a shot at him but I would really just like to see an elk on my first trip out. I know some may say that's asking a lot for a beginner but seeing an elk is one of my hunting goals. If anyone has suggestions for different areas to look at I would appreciate that as well. I also would not say no to finding someone to hunt with.

I took my sons cow hunting near White Sulpher in 2015. We went 1for2 and really enjoyed it. There are some good Block management areas but be prepared for company on these. good luck

Are you going to be archery hunting or rifle hunting? Backpacking in or truck camping? Those answers may affect your district to some extent. Generally speaking, I’d give HD 392 a gander.

Are you going to be archery hunting or rifle hunting? Backpacking in or truck camping? Those answers may affect your district to some extent. Generally speaking, I’d give HD 392 a gander.

Thanks. I will be rifle hunting and haven't yet decided on truck camping or backpacking. I am going to try and be prepared to do both depending on how the area looks. I may truck camp and be prepared to have a spike camp.

I took my sons cow hunting near White Sulpher in 2015. We went 1for2 and really enjoyed it. There are some good Block management areas but be prepared for company on these. good luck

Thanks. Was the elk yall killed on Block management or public land?

Lots of elk over in the northern end of the Crazy Mtns. We hunted there about 12 years ago and seen lots of elk, but I bet things have changed. It’s an area where you can glass up elk and stalk towards them.

Hunted 416 public land this past year and went 2-4 on cows. I shot a big cow first day and saw three bulls the rest of the first week of rifle while trying to find a mule deer buck. Our group should have gotten another so 3-4 would have been a very good success ratio. We hunted hard and it's thick timber and quick off hand shots but if you hunt them like whitetails they are there to be had. Good luck and this was on a general either or tag which sold out on first draw last year.

Back