Rinse Your Meat?

idnative1948

Was talking to a guy about hunting last night and he questioned me about rinsing game with creek water. He hauls 10 gal of water just to rinse his meat with (I am talking about quarters, etc). In the area we grew up hunting we never gave any thought about the creek water and neither did the generation prior to us. So, what say you all?

Never rinse your meat unless it’s right before you cook it.. water=bacteria.. I know people do it, I did it before I had a degree in culinary arts and didn’t understand how to process game. Totally unnecessary imo and just adding something to the mix that doesn’t need to be. Better off leaving the quarters dirty and cutting the outer layer off with a sharp knife. Only reason I could possibly imagine would be a completely destroyed animal that has liquid urine or guts on it. Using the gutless method should even make that minimal. Grass and light dirt, cut it off when processed..

Last edited:
From the animal, to game bags, to cooler/ice. I've never rinsed off any meat in the field. Too much risk of bacteria.

The only time I ever rinse any sort of meat, is a full hanging carcass, and only the cavity... and only if it has undigested gunk on it.

Washing meat just spreads the bacteria around, and promotes bacteria growth. Proper field care, using the gutless method and good game bags, means the only cleaning I need to do between field and freezer is maybe burning off some hair and trimming fat/bloodshot. If there is any digested material that oozes out a hole, cut around it and toss it or leave it with the carcass. Only a very small part of the hind quarter could possibly come in contact with guts, if so, let it crust over and cut it off.

There is no upside to rinsing meat, IMO.

Many years ago I had a poor hit on an elk and the quarters were messy, it died right next to a creek so I dumped the quarters in the creek and washed them off. Ended up losing nearly all of the elk so I won't ever do that again.

Totally agree, don't wash the meat as it can spread the bacteria, especially gut contents. From what I am led to believe however urine is sterile so although unpalatable it shouldn't ruin the meat.
Cheers
Richard

Wow! I guess I should be thankful that I am not dead. If I have to clean a lot of blood and If water is available, I rinse the meat. If there is not water, I will use dry grass.

What about all the bacteria that could be in the creek water? Deer, sheep, elk, cattle, beavers or any other animals could contaminate s seemingly pure high mountain creek. Not to even mention human contamination. No thanks.

I always rinse my meat to clean any hair off! I also add vinegar to the water. One thing that I cannot deal with is seeing dirty meat at a meat processor! I also wipe my meat down after rinsing it with paper towels.

Don't rinse, it seems to change the texture of the meat. I use a damp paper towel if there's a lot of dirt, grass or hair on it. Otherwise, use the knife or a blowtorch.

I have never thought of using a blowtorch. Is this to burn hair off the meat?

Works great. A local meat cutter showed me this about a dozen years ago. Just use a propane torch and singe off the loose hairs after skinning. Caveat, there isn't much hair on quarters after I skin, but again - a useful little tidbit of knowledge.

I might be dense but I'm not sure I understand the OP's original question. Are you asking about rinsing off a deer that may have had contact with creek water or rinsing off a deer with creek water? If any meat I intend to eat has come in contact with dirty water or dirt and I have clean water to rinse it off with, I am sure going to. I always rinse out the body cavity of my unskinned deer if I'm going to hang them. If I'm boning out an animal or it's clean, I try not to get them wet at all.

Why do you filter creek water before you drink it? One reason bacteria. What breaks down and spoils meat? Bacteria. Keep your meat clean, use good game bags, get it cooled down, and if you need to rinse it do it at home when you are processing it to put in the freezer.

Ive used creek water before to rinse out bloddy cavitys,ect as needed,when ive had the luxury of being by a creek.ive never had a issue with .let it dry a bit if possible before bagging up and hanging.I usually apply a mixture of vinegar,pepper,and lemon juice to the cavity to keep the flys out when its hot out.

I'm anti rinse. I let the meat crust over and trim off as needed. If I have to rinse, I use cold tap water out of a garden hose. Like some others have mentioned, I don't want bacteria from creek water on my meat.

Gerald cleared up the miss-information in my orginal post. Everybody has their own way of doing things. I was talking about flushing out the cavity of a hanging animal prior to skinning if needed. Other than that, I see no need to use water. Carry on.

I use a spray bottle to mist straight vinegar inside and out, bag, then mist bags. I may use a wash cloth soaked in vinegar to clean up goop in the cavity or wounds after I trim it off. Vinegar is a great anti bacterial and keeps the flies away. Best meat care starts right after the kill, but understandably sh$! Happens.

You should never rinse meat with any water,unless absolutely necessary.Any butcher will tell you so that bacteria won't be spread.
Also taught in modern Hunter safety Courses.Father and Uncle are instructors.Taken 5 courses in 3 states.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back