Go hunt.com

Gibby97

For those of you have used in the past or present, is it really worth the $150 price tag? What kind of useful information can you get there? I’m looking to apply for a New Mexico late season muzzleloader hunt in a place I’ve never been for example.

The draw odds seem precise and the interactive website is fun, but I think they've tried to tackle too much too fast by providing breakdowns on every unit in the West.

See this link.

Also, feel free to utilize the search feature of the forums.

toprut.com has the same draw odds for free. very valuable free resource.

Toprut has draw odds. But not accurate draw odds. I do like downloading the unit boundaries from toprut but that is about the only value I’ve found from it. I definitely think Gohunt is worth it. Great research tool.

I am using it to plan my first western states hunt and find it very helpful. But is it "worth it", is a tough question. For me, given all the costs I am choosing to incur to gear up to leave the MN woods (I love gear and hate tree stands), it is a drop in the bucket; and I have a crazy work schedule so it is "worth it" to me. Your milage may vary.

Last edited:
I been a go hunt member for awhile now. I enjoy it and plan on staying a member. I also apply in about 6 or 7 states, that they cover yearly as well as Alaska and some other draws .
If was just applying in one or two states I am not sure I would stay a member. While it’s nice you can still get almost all of the same info from other sources for free. I don’t think I would pay it for one or two states apps.
Now for what I do in several states go is well worth the cost. It’s a huge time saver having everything in one place. The articals are useful and the site laid out very well. For me it’s worth it.

Toprut has draw odds. But not accurate draw odds. I do like downloading the unit boundaries from toprut but that is about the only value I’ve found from it. I definitely think Gohunt is worth it. Great research tool.

Why do you say this? It seems to me Toprut has a dang good handle on how the draws work and has as accurate of odds as anyplace. My opinion is that Gohunt is way overpriced for what you get. Their website constantly crashed on me, too, when I had my subscription.

Why do you say this? It seems to me Toprut has a dang good handle on how the draws work and has as accurate of odds as anyplace. My opinion is that Gohunt is way overpriced for what you get. Their website constantly crashed on me, too, when I had my subscription.
Well I could be wrong, maybe toprut is right, but one of them is wrong. Ive compared units in both websites and toprut almost always shows inflated odds. I believe they only use 1st choice vs applications to determine odds. Which isn’t very effective in states like new mexico or Nevada for instance.

Well I could be wrong, maybe toprut is right, but one of them is wrong. Ive compared units in both websites and toprut almost always shows inflated odds. I believe they only use 1st choice vs applications to determine odds. Which isn’t very effective in states like new mexico or Nevada for instance.

You can go to their website and they explain how they get the odds that they do. I'd trust them before any other site. They get it. They don't use 1st choice applicants like Eastman's does (or used to).

I believe Toprut has more accurate odds for those 2 states than GoHunt. Both use the entire data set to calculate their odds, but Toprut seems to have a better handle on the calculation.

The math is beyond me, but it has something to do with group applications and draw order of the choices. They actually look into the fact that many folks put their choices in the wrong order when applying.

Here's an article on how they calculate New Mexico - https://www.toprut.com/news/2017/02/14/true-reality-new-mexicos-big-game-draw/

Whether Gohunt is worth the $ or not is up to you, they offer a lot of additional things that Toprut doesn't, but I believe Toprut has very accurate draw odds and has a good handle on how to calculate them.

I signed up for go hunt back when they had a free 30 day trial. I found there information useful as I was looking at many states at once. I did continue their subscription and have used it this year for applications. The draw strategies for different states and odds all being in one place is worth it for me. Yes I could get a lot of this information for free but having to go to all the different state agencies and learn them is time consuming. So for me it boils down to time and how much you value it. They also provide vegetation, temperature, and summarize the unit by each weapon season. Which is not something you can usually get free. For example in the unit I’m applying in this year it says to hunt middle elevation, and good areas include x, y, and z. This is helpful when trying to break down a large unit. Again to me it’s worht it.

I did the Hunting Fool for years along with Eastmans. Last year I signed with GoHunt just to try it out. I think Gohunt has them all beat imho. Great info, one location, plenty of insight before applying.

thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like I will keep my $.

Well, good luck with that elk hunt. GoHunt is a great resource, definitely worth the money if you don't have countless hours to sift through different state websites if you're researching more than one western state...also, 30 day free trial *wink, wink*

Decent info for a first timer but I found it to be "Cut and Paste" after a while for MT. Every unit described the same and specifics were rare. Access info was OK but be aware they will renew your subscription annually unless you stop them.

I’m in Ohio and heading out for my first hunt this Fall - most likely elk in Colorado. goHunt has been absolutely great for me. I know nothing about most of the units I’m looking at, and wasn’t even sure what state I should apply. It’s been an awesome tool to help narrow all of that down. It can be pretty overwhelming for those of us trying to plan something over 1,000 miles away, and it’s been a great tool to help me get started.

Well, good luck with that elk hunt. GoHunt is a great resource, definitely worth the money if you don't have countless hours to sift through different state websites if you're researching more than one western state...also, 30 day free trial *wink, wink*

I couldn't find any promo code for a 30 day free trial???

I looked to see if I could find one for you and I couldn't either. If you don't want to purchase the insider service right now, I would just create an account but not purchase the insider. Then when they do have a 30 day free trial, you'll get an email for it. They only do free trials every so often. On the other hand if you're going to buy the insider service from gohunt, be sure to use promo code "RANDY" and you'll get $50 worth of credit in their gear shop. Of course if you listen to Randy enough you probably already know that. It's also worth noting that GoHunt has a lot of good articles on their website that are free, too. Maybe someone will turn up a link to a 30-day free trial, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back