Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

SD deer hunting changes on the horizon

warmer

Public Involvement Opportunity on the Alternatives to the Allocation of Deer Licenses
The South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks (GFP) is hosting a series of focus group meetings to identify the best alternative to potentially increasing the number of hunters who seek to draw their preferred deer license.
Background: Prior to implementing the deer management plan last year, one area that received considerable attention from the public input process was deer license allocation and the discussion around the opportunity to obtain a preferred license on a regular basis. To date, the Department and the GFP Commission have narrowed down the list of potential alternatives to three (one of which is no change to the current license drawing structure). The next step in this process is to present the alternatives and gain input through focus groups.
ALTERNATIVE #1
Drawings for East River, West River and Black Hills deer seasons would be at the same time and the applicant would have to choose one of the seasons as their first choice in the first draw.
ALTERNATIVE #2
Drawings for East River, West River, Black Hills, National Wildlife Refuge, Custer State Park, and Muzzleloader deer seasons would be at the same time and the applicant would have to choose one of the seasons as their first choice in the first draw.
ALTERNATIVE #3
No change.
OTHER DETAILS
Preference point system would remain in place and you would not lose current points.
Landowner preference would remain unchanged.
No changes would be made to Archery or Youth Deer.
Individuals who received a Special Buck license are not eligible to apply until the third draw period.
If changes to the license drawing structure occur, they will go into effect for the 2019 deer hunting season. ​
Focus Groups: Beginning in March, focus groups will be conducted across the state to collect feedback from deer hunters.
The main objective of these focus groups will be to 1) discuss the above mentioned alternatives; 2) receive feedback on level of support or opposition for the alternatives; and 3) determine how participants would complete a deer application under each alternative.
A random draw will be used to select participants and participants can only be involved in one focus group. Focus groups will be in Pierre, Philip, Yankton, Sioux Falls, Watertown, Aberdeen, Belle Fourche, Rapid City and Mitchell. Deadline to sign up is March 1, 2018.
For more information, please contact:
Tom Kirschenmann at [email protected]
Kevin Robling at [email protected]
Cindy Longmire at [email protected]
GFP Mission: The South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks provides sustainable outdoor recreational opportunities through responsible management of our state’s parks, fisheries and wildlife by fostering partnerships, cultivating stewardship and safely connecting people with the outdoors.

Looks like we could be on the verge of real "conservation" instead of the "kill em' all" attitude that seems to prevail here. We shall see.

#2 is the best option here, but I wish we could get rid of the Special Buck tags. This plan eliminates the argument for them.

#2 is the best option here, but I wish we could get rid of the Special Buck tags. This plan eliminates the argument for them.

Aren't the Special Buck tags only good for private land? That was my understanding, and why I ignore them.

Thanks for posting this warmer. I am not a resident any more, but will ask the question as one. Could a resident still pick up multiple tags if first choice is drawn, and there were under subscribed units (first choice)? For example, draw East River and still find a WR unit dominated by private that traditionally has leftover (second drawing)?

I do see the issue. I draw BH every 2 or 3 years as a NR, but have Resident friends that have to wait much longer. They remind me.

So what you're saying is that as a NR with a pile of BH and WR points and was planning to make one trip to hunt both someday, I should plan for 2018?

Ya, the nonresident mule deer tag for the Black Hills has better draw odds than the residents do. LOL. I would be applying for that thing every year, but now that points are cubed if you have a bunch it's probably a sure thing.

Thanks for posting this warmer. I am not a resident any more, but will ask the question as one. Could a resident still pick up multiple tags if first choice is drawn, and there were under subscribed units (first choice)? For example, draw East River and still find a WR unit dominated by private that traditionally has leftover (second drawing)?

I do see the issue. I draw BH every 2 or 3 years as a NR, but have Resident friends that have to wait much longer. They remind me.

I have not seen any application information, but the rumor has it, if you are successful in the first draw, you are out till the third draw.

So what you're saying is that as a NR with a pile of BH and WR points and was planning to make one trip to hunt both someday, I should plan for 2018?
Very interested in the answer to this as I'm in that same boat. Looks like I might have to consider a buck and rooster trip in SD this year. Hope TheMailOrderBride is okay with watching miller's kids for 2 weeks... ;)

Yes, but if we put those tags back in the regular draw, the amount of tags available would be increased.

I gotcha. Did you sign up for the focus group? I did. My wife will as well.

To those of you asking, I would guess this change is a foregone conclusion, and they are only going through the motions because it is expected.

Sorry I missed this the first time, Oak. I would say yes, this is the last chance you'll have to do them both at one time. But why not make two trips? We poor farmers and ranchers could really use 2x your money!

#3 gets my vote as a resident. I've never thought it was that hard to draw a tag the way it is. OTOH, I do like the thought of actually having some conservation in the state.

Last edited:
#3 gets my vote as a resident. I've never thought it was that hard to draw a tag the way it is. OTOH, I do like the thought of actually having some conservation in the state.

Tags may be too easy to get. Every year I talk to people with fantastic tags who don't hunt them properly because they are out of vacation time, energy, wife happiness, etc. Last fall was a muzzleloader tag. What a waste of a great tag. Guy hunted archery, rifle east river, and by the time MZ opened he wasted it. Lame.

Tags may be too easy to get. Every year I talk to people with fantastic tags who don't hunt them properly because they are out of vacation time, energy, wife happiness, etc. Last fall was a muzzleloader tag. What a waste of a great tag. Guy hunted archery, rifle east river, and by the time MZ opened he wasted it. Lame.

Another form of conservation. I can't tell you the last time I filled an East River Rifle tag. I didn't fill any deer tags this year actually.

I don't see this as a conservation move, I see this as one addressing opportunity.

Decide which tag matters to you, and go for it. This would really shake up the draw odds. Wow. Honestly, I think it would result in more deer being taken due to people only having one tag.

I’m for option #3 also, would be too hard to choose which hunt I like best! If I work the points right, most years I at least have 2 outta 3, BH, ER, WR.

I hope every one that is opposed to this signs up for the focus group. IMO it is a back door way to get more nonresident hunters in South Dakota taking away opportunity and tags from resident hunters. In 2016 there was 1,585 tags available to nonresidents in west river, but there was 2,016 tags sold, (431 tags were taken from the resident pool and sold to nonresidents),this was possible because in the 3rd draw nonresidents and residents are in the same draw for the same tags. In this proposal if you are drawn for a tag you will not be able to try for another tag until the 3rd draw(this will put more tags in the 3rd draw) then we will be competing with nonresidents for those resident tags.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back