Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Colorado change up

WildWill

I have been planning my second elk hunt for this fall I had planned on burning my 1 point on a unit 75 either sex muzzleloader tag. But it would appear that Colorado has change this unit from a either sex tag to a bull tag or cow tag for muzzleloader season. My first elk hunt was in unit 75 in the fall of 2016 on a OTC archery either sex tag. While I didn't harvest a elk I did manage to have several encounters including a legal bull within 40 yards (although I was unable to get a shot) and two cows at 60 and 75 yards to far for my comfort level with a bow but I feel that with my muzzleloader I could of harvested any of them. Right now I'm torn between a few choices 1st burn my point on a bull tag and not be able to shoot a cow 2nd get a cow tag as my 2nd choice save my point but be unable to shoot a bull 3rd get a OTC either sex archery tag save my points but have the handicap of a bow. Or find a new unit that offers muzzleloader either sex tags I'm not a big fan of this option sense I think picking a unit and learning it is a good tactic and there's no guarantee that the new unit won't change at some point. I'm not interested in building points for 20 years to hunt a top tier unit I'd rather hunt a unit every 2-3 years with a muzzleloader using a bow for OTC tags on off years. If you were in my position what would you do?

Also I'm not interested in any of the rifle hunts as my plate is pretty full during October-November so I'm trying to keep my elk hunting in September.

Man that's a tough one. Everyone's going to have a different opinion on this. I think it depends alot on your hunting style. I've only archery hunted and taken one cow and one bull. That being said ive deff had more opportunities at bulls due to the way i hunt. I move and call quite a bit. The eve i killed my cow i sat a small water hole in the timber. That's just tuff for me to do. If your going to be aggressive and move and call then i say go for the bull tag. If you still aren't sure give the bow another go. My last option would be the cow tag. Not because i wouldn't be happy with a cow just because the way i hunt i tend to have more encounters with bulls. Good luck buddy there's nothing else like it for me.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back