Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

CZ Model 455 .22 LR review

6mm Remington

I just purchased this CZ .22 LR which had a nice walnut stock with checkering and no sights. I put a 2-7 Leupold Rimfire scope on it with Warne mounts. I've been looking for a nice .22 bolt rifle with a wood stock something along the lines of this rifle or the Ruger 77 .22 LR. Unfortunately Ruger no longer makes that model I found out.

It was 27 degrees and breezy today with snow on the ground when I went out to shoot. I shot some CCI, Federal, and some Spitfire .22 LR which I think are also Federal loadings but with different bullets. At 50 yards I got 1/2" to about 3/4" five shot groups shooting with a bipod on the front and a small bag at the rear. I was also shooting with gloves on because it was cold with the breeze. I'm really pleased with the results of the shooting and I sure cannot blame the rifle if I miss something with it. Each of the different loads I tried hit almost exactly the same point of impact as the others. Dang good I would say!

David

The CZ gets consistently good reviews. Thinking it's time I splurged for one. Love the scope choice as well. Perfect for gopher work in .22 range.

CZ rifle: $400.00
Leupold 2-7 scope: $200.00
Warne mounts: $40.00

I need to get my picture posting site working so I could post up some pictures.

The CZ gets consistently good reviews. Thinking it's time I splurged for one. Love the scope choice as well. Perfect for gopher work in .22 range.

Ben I was going to get a fixed 4x rimfire Leupold but they did not have one. I'm quite happy with my choice and even at 50 yards which is pretty close, the 7x setting was a nice feature to have. I done good for sure!

I have the varmint barreled version of this rifle. Love it. The picture is of the first time I shot it at 100 yards, using cheap ammo. Should of stopped at 4 rounds....20171001_085007.jpg

I have the 512 semi auto in 22 mag.

Love it!!!!!

There are a few of their rifles on my wish list. One is the bolt action American rustic in 6.5 Grendel. Their controlled round feed is butter smooth.

Thanks for the write up.

Attachments

• ABA15D27-C01B-4E5C-A6D5-5D9DA407E377.jpg
    ABA15D27-C01B-4E5C-A6D5-5D9DA407E377.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 173
I'm in the market for a bolt action 22LR and this one has piqued my interest a bit. Especially like being able to change barrels should one choose to do so. Do you find the "backwards" safety that troublesome?

I'm in the market for a bolt action 22LR and this one has piqued my interest a bit. Especially like being able to change barrels should one choose to do so. Do you find the "backwards" safety that troublesome?

I haven't really had an issue with it but then I've only been shooting it at the bench for now. It is a little funky getting used to but I don't think it will be a big deal. Might be for a younger shooter who's been using safety's that typically are set towards the rear, but for someone just learning I don't think so. There's a big red dot just in front of the safety lever that is visible when the safety is off, meaning the rifle can fire if the trigger is pulled. When the safety is on it is covered by the safety switch. I just went and looked at it and I don't think it will be an issue. Just need to make sure young shooter's know how it works before shooting with them.

I have had a great experience with my CZ as well! It has relegated my Ruger 77/22 to safe duty.

I picked mine up at Cabelas for $349 last spring, and put on a Vx-1 2-7x33 that I had in the closet. With cheap ammo it shoots great, I have yet to pick up some Eley and see what it can really do....

IMG_6556.jpg

IMG_6573.jpg

Thanks for the reviews! My boys will shoot this a bit, but not much as I plan on getting a LH rimfire for them. One way I've been told to look at the safety is to think of it as thumbing the hammer back...

Right now a variant of the CZ (probably American) and the Ruger American Predator rimfire are the leading candidates. Though not how quite yet, I'm thinking topping either with the new mil/mil rimfire scope from Nikon.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/...d.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-Overview

I wanted a CZ American very badly. But Cabela's had the Ruger American on sale for $150 on Black Friday and I couldn't resist. I'm sure the CZ is nicer. But I'm sure that I couldn't produce better results than my Ruger shooting dime size 50 yd groups with Eley ammo.

If you can find a good deal on a Ruger American, it's an impressive low-cost alternative.

I shot on the Shoot & See targets a couple days ago and did not do quite as good as I thought I did. I went back out today and the conditions were better. The little CZ still shot very well. I used a lot better target this time around going with the Mountain Plains Industries with the 1" blue diamonds and 1/4" square lines on the targets. This is how it shook out with the .22 LR ammunition that I had. Three groups with each - five shots - all at 50 yards.

CCI hollow point ammo: 9/16" 11/16" 1 1/16"
American Eagle hollow pt: 7/16" 13/16" 1 1/16"
Federal Stinger hollow pt: 1 5/16" 1 3/8" 1 9/16"

I'm still going to have to keep it! Point of Impact for all three was very close with the CCI & the Federal American Eagle almost exactly the same.

I thought about getting a .22 mag but the ammo price stopped me. I still think one in a .22 mag would be a really neat addition though!

Back