Montana HD 319

youngblood4

I am in the planning stages for my 2018 season and have been looking heavily at HD 319 for bow season. I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on the hunting pressure, accessibility, etc... they have experienced in the past. From what I can see a majority, if not all, of the access points are to the southern part of the unit. I will be coming from Georgia and will only be able to escout my western unit before the hunt. I did my first western hunt last year with a group of buddies on a OTC Utah hunt where we were able to get one 5x5 bull. I am not new to the HuntTalk forum, but this is my first post. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Use your Google and search the unit. Fair amount of bears in the area.

Thanks guys for the info. Are the bears to the point where I should look else where due to population decrease or just to be cautious and vigilant? I have done a fair amount of mountaineering/climbing in bear country to know how to be safe and keep camp, but is it to the point where they have hurt the population of the elk and there are better areas?

You guys can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are many grizzlies in that area. I wouldn't let the bears worry me too much.

A suggestion to people asking for advice on a unit.... State in your question the geographic location, mountain range etc. of that unit. Montana is a big state, with lots of units, some of which have inconsistent HD # from D/E/A and M/S/G.
I've lived and hunted here my whole life and don't have them all memerized.
You'll be a lot more likely to get more advice if we don't have to pull up the regs to see where you're talking about.

319 is a heavy timbered unit where the elk live, and use maybe 5-15% open parks. Montana FWP statistics indicate 55 hunter days per harvest, so that gives you baseline for the difficulty of hunting. If you are wanting to glass elk and work in closer to call or stalk, I’d recommend a different unit with more open country. Good luck in the draws and your hunt.

Where most of the actual hunting pressure occurs in 319, two legged wolves from Butte and Andaconda keep the elk educated way more than the four legged variety. And those two legged ones know the country about as well, if not better, as the four legged ones. They've been there longer:)

Thanks fellas for the help. Like I said I am new to elk hunting in MT and any information helps. If anyone needs any information on some eastern whitetail or waterfowl I'd be more than willing to help.

-Dillon

Only hunted the area a couple times myself so I can't give any advice. But if you get one down, and need some horses to get one out, let me know. We live really close to the south end of 319 and my wife will use any excuse to get the horses out and see new country.

Only hunted the area a couple times myself so I can't give any advice. But if you get one down, and need some horses to get one out, let me know. We live really close to the south end of 319 and my wife will use any excuse to get the horses out and see new country.

Hmmmm. How about to the west of you? Any new country your wife would like to see over there?:D

Thanks El Unit for the offer! I haven't factored in any horses for the trip and by the looks of how far some of the creek valleys run from trails/roads they would probably come in pretty handy with getting one out.

How did your hunt go Youngblood? I have hunted 319 for the past couple years and wanted to know your thoughts? as in hunting pressure amount of game you saw. Also did you manage to get up high if you did hunt there?

I hunted this unit a few weeks ago and my buddy and I got into elk both days we hunted there. I plan to go back to the same area in early November to try my hand at rifle hunting. Which is something I’ve never done before for elk. I’m curious as to what kind of pressure I could encounter as well as what kind of weather I could run into at that time of year. If anyone would be willing to help I’d be willing to swap some field notes. Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back