Yeti GOBOX Collection

Steven Rinella and Rob Bishop

My take was not far off the mark when I finished it.
BF hit the nail on the head.
Steve gave me a like for seeing him letting the bail out on the reel & RB had the bait in his mouth.
I kinda think SR was getting some stitches in his bitten tongue later & smiling.

If there is a benefit to having Bishop on the podcast, I think it is that we can start to see his side's perspective. I don't agree with it or like it, but future discussions might be more productive.

I think the answer to Rinella's question from months ago (paraphrased) "When Rob Bishop sees a beautiful mountain, why does he hate it?" The answer is that he hates that it is not being used to "benefit people." By that, he means it is not producing obvious economic (industrial, agricultural) output. If there are no logs or minerals or crops coming out of it, then it is just sitting there, wasting away. He does not assign any value to recreation or wildlife and clean air/water are just nice-to-have. It is akin to the popular sentiment during the 1800s: "prosper, multiply, and subdue the earth."

Some of us are convinced we humans have done enough subduing and should be doing more conserving.

...I think the answer to Rinella's question from months ago (paraphrased) "When Rob Bishop sees a beautiful mountain, why does he hate it?" The answer is that he hates that it is not being used to "benefit people." By that, he means it is not producing obvious economic (industrial, agricultural) output. If there are no logs or minerals or crops coming out of it, then it is just sitting there, wasting away. He does not assign any value to recreation or wildlife and clean air/water are just nice-to-have. It is akin to the popular sentiment during the 1800s: "prosper, multiply, and subdue the earth."...

And this here is a reason he continues to build a base. His message resonates with many Americans including many outdoor activity based Americans. He wants jobs. He wants multi use to mean multi use. Play and hobbies such as hunting are just that... Jobs and domestic extraction add to the American economy for domestic and export value, employment, families enhanced opportunities because of employment, etc...

Finding that point somewhere between these two extremes is the interest of many Americans, including myself.

Edit: not interested in personal attacks, leg humping shitzu's, nor grammar Nazis. There are opinions that may differ with the vocals here. I respect your opinions as would hope to be reciprocated. Cheers all... Just one outdoor enthusiasts pov. :)

Last edited:
Sytes, I concur with your conjecture regarding Bishop's perspective. You have expressed a valid opinion about finding a balance point. My point of balance is weighted toward the preservation / conservation, wildlife, and wildlife habitat end when it comes to much of the public landscape.

Was the following really necessary to complete your post? It actually detracted from what I had viewed as good points.
Edit: not interested in personal attacks, leg humping shitzu's, nor grammar Nazis.

I listened to the podcast and admire Steve for having Bishop on. That being said, Bishop can shampoo my crotch. What a tool. Slick politician that I respect even less now.

Your two buddies are prime examples of the dangers of not doing some fact checking and believing everything you hear as fact. If you take any sniper of an issue without getting the whole story it can paint a very distorted picture. That's the biggest battle we are facing right now with public land issues is dismissing the mis information and getting the masses informed.

That's right mis information is the battle, that's why you can't release a crap load of uncontested mis-information via an avenue that a lot of people trust to get actual good information from. The expect to be able to totally reverse that later down the road.

Sytes, I concur with your conjecture regarding Bishop's perspective. You have expressed a valid opinion about finding a balance point. My point of balance is weighted toward the preservation / conservation, wildlife, and wildlife habitat end when it comes to much of the public landscape.

Was the following really necessary to complete your post? It actually detracted from what I had viewed as good points.
Appreciate your opinion as well and can certainly respect/empathize with your position on the matter.

With respect to your last paragraph, maybe in the future you might find yourself publicly calling out such adverse attacks on fellow HT opinions, we may find a following for the distasteful personal attacks, etc reduce.
The remainder explains the unfortunate need to place the comment...
...There are opinions that may differ with the vocals here. I respect your opinions as would hope to be reciprocated. Cheers all... Just one outdoor enthusiasts pov.

Back to the thread.

Around the 35-45 minute of the podcast, RB mentions that the Antiquities Act has a specific purpose based on the language and he stresses that it is not the President's prerogative to use for preservation/conservation of things outside "antiquities". What RB fails to acknowledge is that we have a judiciary that decides the extent to which a law is applicable on a case-by-case basis. So go to court if you think Obama and Clinton Administrations miss used the Antiquities Act in the state of Utah. If I am correct I believe the Supreme Court has, on numerous occasions, ruled in favor of presidential authority in application of the act for preservation of resources.

I cringe when I here any politician say, let me introduce a new bill that will clarify/limit an existing act or law.....especially one of this magnitude and fundamental importance to our American heritage and way of life.

And this here is a reason he continues to build a base. His message resonates with many Americans including many outdoor activity based Americans. He wants jobs. He wants multi use to mean multi use. Play and hobbies such as hunting are just that... Jobs and domestic extraction add to the American economy for domestic and export value, employment, families enhanced opportunities because of employment, etc...

Finding that point somewhere between these two extremes is the interest of many Americans, including myself.

Edit: not interested in personal attacks, leg humping shitzu's, nor grammar Nazis. There are opinions that may differ with the vocals here. I respect your opinions as would hope to be reciprocated. Cheers all... Just one outdoor enthusiasts pov. :)

I agree with your assessment on how many people view “benefit the people.”

The article in the link below illustrates to me why our side (sportsman, pro public land) needs to do a better job in explaining the economic benefits these public lands provide outside of mineral extraction and development.

http://billingsgazette.com/lifestyl...cle_8ea23ad7-92a9-5fc7-b854-7ed17a3dacb8.html

I listened to Rinella's podcast before I listened to Randy's view on Bishop. It was very interesting because I thought Bishop made good points about transferring to the state to allow for better management of the land. After listening to Randy explain state transfer, I changed my opinion. It seems like Bishop and other politicians never actually have a plan to implement 'better management' by the state as well as prevent the selling of those lands. Also, I am from the East, and I never questioned state management of land because in GA the WMAs seem to work well to me.

I feel like most people only gain exposure to this mindset by being in the hunting world (podcasts, social media). If I wasn't a hunter, I may never have been concerned with public land issues in the West.

How do you reach more people in the East that may not be hunters or fishermen?

I listened to Rinella's podcast before I listened to Randy's view on Bishop. It was very interesting because I thought Bishop made good points about transferring to the state to allow for better management of the land. After listening to Randy explain state transfer, I changed my opinion. It seems like Bishop and other politicians never actually have a plan to implement 'better management' by the state as well as prevent the selling of those lands. Also, I am from the East, and I never questioned state management of land because in GA the WMAs seem to work well to me.

I feel like most people only gain exposure to this mindset by being in the hunting world (podcasts, social media). If I wasn't a hunter, I may never have been concerned with public land issues in the West.

How do you reach more people in the East that may not be hunters or fishermen?

Which of Randy's podcasts are you referring to? I'd like to listen to Randy's views on land management by the states.

It was EP053 "Elk Hunting Ideas with Public Land Politics" its a year old, but It talks about Bishop and state transfer.

A breakdown of each state regarding land management and the greatest issues would be amazing!

I have no idea how I never saw that playlist. Really great information in there. Thank you neffa!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back