Steven Rinella and Rob Bishop

Will be interesting to listen too..... I hope they don't cut Bishop any slack. Bishop has done a lot that would negatively impact our public lands, be interesting what things he will try to make look good.

".....and no minds were changed". My guess, Both sides will likely preach to their choirs.
I think (not fact:)) that anyone expecting any real result from this will likely be disappointed. I will gladly admit my incorrectness afterward if.......

The Bishops and his ilk need to be voted out of office. Not an expected result in Utah, but hopefully this can happen in other places.

That would be perfect. But in all seriousness, I hope Rinella can open his eyes a bit and put him in his place.

I don't think anyone can open his eyes, but I would love to see him answer serious questions on his flawed policy ideas.

I'm way behind on my podcasts, but I will gladly skip ahead to hear this one. I feel like on a meateater episode I recently listened to Steve posed a hypothetical to an imaginary Bishop character along the lines of, "when you look at that mountain, why do you hate it? Why do you wonder, what value does it serve? That would be akin to looking at my kids and questioning their value..." I'm butchering I'm sure, but it was something close to that and I hope he asks Bishop now that he has his audience.

I am waiting on this also, never miss a Meateater podcast. But I am already skeptical of the things I haven't even heard Bishop say. It's sad how many people here back east are pro transfer or just plain indifferent to the whole matter. That's what keeps this whole thing going I think.

To be honest, had it not been for this forum I would fall under indifference or ok with it going to states just out of ignorance. Public lands in the west aren’t what they are in the east. Hunters and recreational users in the west aren’t what they are in the east. Aside from the very few that travel out west for hunting and outdoor recreation most people will not be affected. But they will see that the federal government has made budget cuts and be pleased with it since it didn’t affect them.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for Steve Rinella, and am excited to hear this. But even if the recording is cut short because Steve and Cal and Jani are beating the crap out of Bishop, it’s hard to imagine that this could result in policy change. But these conversations are important in that it may open some listeners eyes. I hope Rinella delivers him an earful.

Will be interesting for sure.
Anyone expecting Bishop to have some kind of a come to Jesus moment after this interview will be disappointed.
Anyone expecting Steve Rinella to flat out rip Bishop a new one will be disappointed. Rinella has to much class for that, it would accomplish nothing and doing so would preclude ever getting anyone like this one his pod cast again.

Steve Rinella has the knowledge, and I expect the ability, to get Bishop on record on some very pointed issues and expose him, I expect negatively, to a wider audience. Hopefully that will be worth something.

All said for Rinella, I'm sure Bishop is entering this with a good quantity of prep / staff roleplay time. Bishop's not entering an arena to come out any worse... His goal would be to shore up his base and build from there, in my opinion... I would imagine Bishop has a base set of Rinella's questions as well. (?)

I'm sure Rinella will own Bishop on the facts. But everyone that will be listening is already on the right side of the fence and Bishop's mind will not be changed. Its important to remember the source of the land transfer movement. And its not the GOP. Its the LDS church. Bishop thinks he's doing God's work, and people who he views as living prophets support him. He isn't going to change.

I fear a repeat of the CH and Chaffetz interview. Politicians are slick, real.... slick. And while Renella is certainly better versed in the topic from a historical perspective I hope he and Jani take the time to think through all the likely answers and avenues RB will take in the interview and have actual quotes from the regulations and or court ruling to back refute them.

Or I hope he that he doesn't go with "facts" (I hate that fact that there can be multiple facts claimed anymore), and just sticks with emotion and ethics and morality.

I'm too pessimistic to have a lot of hope for this interview though.

I'm sure Rinella will own Bishop on the facts. But everyone that will be listening is already on the right side of the fence and Bishop's mind will not be changed. Its important to remember the source of the land transfer movement. And its not the GOP. Its the LDS church. Bishop thinks he's doing God's work, and people who he views as living prophets support him. He isn't going to change.

Really? I haven't heard this before, but wondered about it, seeing as how the majority of the PLT push comes from Utah. Why isn't this talked about more? Taboo?

Really? I haven't heard this before, but wondered about it, seeing as how the majority of the PLT push comes from Utah. Why isn't this talked about more? Taboo?

I wouldn't say it's exclusive to LDS, but if you look at a lot of the biggest players (Chaffetz, Bishop, Ivory, Bundy family, all of Utah) it is pretty easy to see. Stems at least partly due to a historical distrust of Federal government after the oppression they experienced centuries ago. I think a lot of Mormons would like to have their own sovereign nation in the west. Big oil/mining firms have realized they can exploit those anti-fed feelings with the hope of expanding operations.

Other than that, I just can't imagine what pro-PLT hunters are thinking. Even if the regular blue collar whitetail hunter can afford his/her own 40 acres in the eastern US, none of us can possibly hope to buy thousands of acres of western land to hunt. Although, since most eastern hunters never head West and also want smaller government, it's probably just apathy.

I'm not closed minded towards the LDS church or any other denomination for that matter. But I am highly skeptical of their involvement in all of this. I don't have facts to back that up, it's just a gut feeling. Have they been buying up the state land that Utah has been selling off in recent years?

I know of no cases of the LDS Church buying land from the State... especially from Trust Lands Auctions. There may be some cases but it is certainly not a concerted effort. The church has giant real estate holdings throughout the country, including one of the largest landholders in Florida, and I can see no benefit to buying BLM land in the West Desert of Utah.

There may be a Mormon component to the land grab, but it is not institutional in nature. See: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-history-explains-why/?utm_term=.9295adc31491

EDIT: The above article lists Hatch, Bishop, and Lee as "public land enemies" that are Mormon, of which I agree. But Jeff Flake, Harry Reid, Dean Heller, Tom Udall, and Mike Crapo are also Mormon... so the correlation is quite thin.

Last edited:
There may be a Mormon component to the land grab, but it is not institutional in nature. See: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.9295adc31491

Really interesting article. Thank you. Helped me make a little more sense of the “why Utah?” question. It also gives some explanation as to where the idea of ”taking back” land that never belonged to the states in the first place comes from. From the article:

It’s our land, not yours. I know this sentiment is real among Utah Mormons, because I’ve seen it, and I’ve been guilty of it myself. My pioneer ancestors believed that Utah was their promised land, given to them by God to use, and that they were supposed to improve upon nature, letting none of it go to waste. As stewards of the land, they believed they couldn’t let it sit idle, and the drive to make it produce is as strong as ever. The idea that Utah’s public land should be controlled by the progeny of a small group of white settlers is alive and well among some modern-day Mormons, and they support acquiring federal land as an effort to “take back” what they believe is rightfully theirs.

Really interesting article. Thank you. Helped me make a little more sense of the “why Utah?” question. It also gives some explanation as to where the idea of ”taking back” land that never belonged to the states in the first place comes from. From the article:

Vomit inducing...ugh

Back