PEAX Equipment

Heat source for enclosed trailer?

Dieseldog

So I bought an enclosed trailer for hunting will haul atvs and then sleep in at night. It currently has a ventless propane heater but I'm not sure i trust it. So looking at putting in a vented heater or a wood or pellet heater. Anyone used a pellet heater? I have looked at a few and it says a 12 hr burn time for a 40lb bag of pellets. And I can buy pellets at menards for about 3.75 a bag. Would really only need about 10 bags for a week hunt to run heat at night and that's allowing a few extra bags. Let's hear your opinions. Thanks 20180216_165528.jpg20180216_165540.jpg

When you say you don't trust the propane heater, do you mean carbon monoxide poisoning or that it won't keep the trailer warm?

Last edited:
jus to be safe on the carbon monoxide poisoning. It will keep it plenty warm to sleep I believe. It was zero here the other day and it had it up to 55degrees in about an hr sitting in the yard. I was thinking since it is ventless that it would be safe. But had others say Don't risk it and don't really on a Carbon monoxide detector either. Trailer has two side air vents one in front and one in back and also a roof vent we could crack open.

I think with 3 vents you would be ok. Add in a CO2 detector or two would help. Does your propane heater have low O2 sensor?

I have a ventless heater in my fish house for 15 years and never had an issue. I do have to vents that are always open. Most of these heaters have a auto shut off for co2, add a battery co2 detector and keep vents cracked and you’ll be good to go.

yes it says it does have a shutdown sensor. Well things just got cheaper for me since I don't need to find a new heat source. Just buy a couple extra CO2 detectors to be safe. Now to put an awning on it with the tent sides to have an extra room outside to cook and for storage. Or will just go with a popup fish house for a cook shack.

Due to the moisture that we and the LP produces, I ended up having to open roof vents to keep the temp regulated and to keep it dry. I have vents cut in down by the floor on each side wall so the heat rising created a draft of fresh air constantly comming in. We had zero issues and it was comfortable. The only spot we had condensation was on the aluminum around the back doorway. If you don’t have the vents, they can be added pretty easily.

I have one vent up front right side about shoulder height, one back left side about shin height and the roof vent. This trailer is insulated with 1 inch foam with wood over top so not to worried about condensation.

No matter what you choose, include a Carbon Monoxide detector. I got a pack of two for less than $30 at Home Depot. Mount them low in the trailer. CO accumulates in low areas, then the level rises as CO increases in the enclosed area. If anyone is sleeping on the floor, make sure you have at least one of the detectors on the floor.

yes it says it does have a shutdown sensor. Well things just got cheaper for me since I don't need to find a new heat source. Just buy a couple extra CO2 detectors to be safe. Now to put an awning on it with the tent sides to have an extra room outside to cook and for storage. Or will just go with a popup fish house for a cook shack.

Not trying to be a smartass, but CO2 is carbon Dioxide. What you want is a CO (carbon Monoxide) detector. If you ask for a CO2 detector, they might sell you that without clarifying what you're looking for.

Im trying a vented propane heater that u s stoves makes,,vents to the outside as well as the propane moisture,,also uses no fan blower either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back