MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Colorado Archery: Should I go OTC, or try for a unit I can draw with 0 points?

AtenJones

I'll be heading out to Colorado for my first archery elk hunt this fall (and first elk hunt ever), and had a quick question. I have zero points right now, and am trying to decide if it makes more sense to go OTC and buy a point, or try for one of the few limited units that have 25% or higher odds for nonresidents with no points, and run the risk" of drawing it and having no points built. I plan on trying to hunt almost every year, so I like the idea of a long-term strategy, and will also be building points in other states as well.

So, I guess my question is: how much better is a unit that might take 1 or 2 point to draw, than a typical OTC unit." Should I think about building point and apply for OTC right now, or try and draw a slightly " better" unit? I know that is kind of vague, but any help would be great.

Thanks!

Last edited:
You can apply for a 0pt unit with a 25% success for 1st choice, if you don't draw you get a point and can buy an OTC tag. Generally speaking you will never draw a trophy tag in Colorado and should never get more than a couple of points. If you look at the stats it's something like 70% of the limited units are 1-3 pts. 20% 6-7pts then a huge jump and top 10% of units are above 20pts.

If you look at the low draw point units, drawing with 1pt versus 0 or otc isn't so much about which units you get to hunt as when. A unit might be OTC archery, OTC 2nd and 3rd, 2 pts muzzle, 3 pts 1st rifle. Generally speaking highest success rates are in 1st rifle.

The difference between an OTC archery unit and a 2pt archery unit is less than the difference between a beginner and a seasoned hunter.

But a point, then buy an OTC tag, sit on your points until you think you understand elk enough to burn your points. There is PLENTY of good OTC hunting in Colorado for people willing to do their homework and work a little.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back