Colorado Elk Draw Hunts

TN VOL

Hey guys...I'm new to Elk hunting and didn't draw a tag in Wyoming for 2018. I've got a gohunt.com account and have been doing extensive research. I'm looking to take my teenage sons on an Elk this fall rifle or muzzleloader.(it will be our first elk hunt) Not looking for anyone's spots, just a recommendation on a which unit or units where we can get on elk or where we can actually find them..not sure if I 100% trust the harvest results for Colorado, I know we can get an OTC license but was more interested in a draw due to the fact there wouldn't be as many hunters. Also, would love to go to an area/unit where you can camp close to a river/creek or lake that has trout so we can fish! I've only been western hunting one time and it was last year for Mulies in Wyoming. Any advice would be appreciated..you can PM as well.. I'm from TN and have never been to Colorado.
Thanks!

The CPW web site has all of the info you need, but it can be hard to navigate. Look at the hunt recaps for draw odds. The hunting brochure has a wealth of information too. All muzzle loader tags are draw only, but there are some units you can draw with no points. I encourage you to apply for cow tags. Your odds of success for you first hunt are way better with cow tags. Fishing is always something I try find time for too. Most places that hold elk also have trout! Focus on the experience and having fun and your kids will never forget it.
http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/BigGame.aspx

Last edited:
Welcome! I'm originally from Spring City, TN.

If you're already using GoHunt than I'd say you probably have it narrowed down pretty well on units. If you're trying to decide between certain units than you may want to be more specific on your question as there are a lot of variables on what makes a unit good for you vs others (amount of public, harvest success %, big bull, etc). There is a similar post I've seen on here in the past couple days asking the same about Colorado and whether to do a draw or OTC. The consensus has been to apply for a unit with say 50% draw odds that you like and if you dont draw you get a preference point and can buy an OTC tag then.

As for camping and fishing, just look for areas with BLM land and water. Otherwise I dont have any great info I can share unless you are looking at 3/301 which is an OTC unit. Thats the only area I've personally hunted in CO although we did kill a bull on an OTC tag there.

thanks for the info and advice..really not sure exactly what we are looking for..would love to be able to actually see Elk or have opportunities, seeing other hunters does't bother me, however I didn't want to take my sons to a Unit where there was 10 4 wheelers at every access point or trailhead. Would love to be able to experience bugling elk..we've never heard a bugle besides on TV..this will be a learning trip. I've heard the Southwest Units aren't as crowded as the Northwest units but are more rugged..

Spring City isn't far from us! we are from Maryville, TN!

If you can get a muzzleloader or 1st rifle tag you'll most likely hear some bugles. You'll still have to work at it and put some distance between you and other hunters/roads. If you can, try to get to your spot at least a day early to scout. Find a place you can glass and try to find some elk before the season starts. They'll bugle until orange vests and bullets start pushing them around. Like waygoner said, look into a cow tag as they can be easier to draw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back