High Country Elk?

Hello everyone, I am wondering if elk roam in the high country. What I mean by High Country is where the treeline and the bare part of the mountain meet where the rams hangout. Do elk hangout there? I was recommended a place but it is super high in elevation and I am wondering if it's worth it for me to check it out. Kind of a newbie question and thank you for your help.

I bumped a group of cows on Otc. 15 at 12,000ft last season, they were beaded in a krummholz.
Obviously depends on the herd and location but in lots of areas elk spend most of their summer above timberline, and then migrate down with the snow.

capture.jpg

The last bull I shot was in central Colorado at 11,900 feet on October 10, 2015.

Until the snow forces them lower, many CO elk herds feed in alpine meadows and bed just below timberline.

In September 2009 I tagged along with a buddy on his CO mountain goat hunt. We had elk and goats feeding on the same slopes.

Last edited:
I killed my bull last year at 10,000 ft. I hunted all the way up to 12,000 had the place to myself and got into plenty of elk everyday. I have always enjoyed the saying "Go high, stay high".

RLTW

You will find almost no elk above 14000 ft . But quite a few not too far below that, at least at certain times of the year.

You will find almost no elk above 14000 ft . But quite a few not too far below that, at least at certain times of the year.

This made me laugh.... yeah cause only Colorado really has elk and 14ers... maybe some elk on Rainer and Whitney?

Last edited:
This made me laugh.... yeah cause only Colorado really has elk and 14ers... maybe some elk on Rainer and Whitney?

Squirrels sarcasim is top shelf.

I have chased elk on Rainer but we were below 14,000 for sure. It was before all the altitude gadgets of today so not positive

That picture is great wllm! Answers the question quite well.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back