Montana General Elk Non-Res

kansashunter

Hey all. Narrowing down my options in Montana for elk this fall! First time elk hunter, mainly aiming for the rifle season, but open to archery (maybe both?). I'm looking to do the classic DIY, public, backpack type hunting with a few buddy's helping me out. I mainly just want to see elk and watch them and learn about them. If that happens, I've been successful. Next goal, get on a mature 6pt bull. I don't like shooting young animals so I'd let really young bulls walk. Tagging a cow at the end of the hunt would be great too if things aren't working out on bulls. Not too scared of rough country, but not ready for the extreme end of it, happy to work to get away from hunters, but as a first timer I'm going to be real with myself about expectations and limits. So here's what I'm wanting to know. Ive looked at Montana's hunt planner, OnX maps, GoHunt, google searches, etc. to narrow down some units that I think fit my bill.

Looking for how your experiences, buddy's, or whatever you've heard about these. Basically want some first hand info! I don't care for your secret spots, just what you know about the unit. Thanks in advance! Send me a PM

I am also looking to do a diy elk hunt in Montana this year. It will also be my first time out. I have done my research on gohunt and have narrowed down I believe to one unit. Unit 392. I am looking to bow hunt with my brother during archery season which will hopefully be a back pack hunt. Then my father in-law and his brother want to also do a rifle hunt. I’m not to worried about myself and my brother but my father in law and brother might not be down for rough country. I have read online that this can be a crowded unit but there are good elk numbers. We are mainly just out for a good time and to see some cool country. Also when it comes to getting a general tag for out of state hunters am I correct that you need to apply in the draw? Or can you buy over the counter. Thanks for the help in advance.

Your best bet is to draw, the odd are or are right at 100% I personally am not going to draw and hope to be able to pick up a leftover right away if there's any left. I applied to NM which has slim odds, so I'm researching Montana as a backup playing the card I don't draw down south! Good luck this fall, good pop. numbers should be good start to a great hunt!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back