PEAX Equipment

Daines calls local hunter/angler groups "green decoys"

I’m all for USFS trail crews being able to use chainsaws in wilderness. The efficiency would help productivity especially in today’s times of low budgets.

A two cycle engine running for a couple hours once very couple years probably isn’t the end of the world, as long as it’s not used as a slippery slope to weaken the wilderness act.

I’m all for USFS trail crews being able to use chainsaws in wilderness. The efficiency would help productivity especially in today’s times of low budgets.

A two cycle engine running for a couple hours once very couple years probably isn’t the end of the world, as long as it’s not used as a slippery slope to weaken the wilderness act.

District Rangers can allow for that already under the Wilderness Act. Most trail bosses & wilderness rangers I've spoken too dismiss the thought of packing in heavy saws instead of cross-cuts & Pulaskis. Adding those things going in means leaving other things behind, like spray, etc. Logistically, I'm not sure dragging stihls into the Bob is as easy as it sounds on Hunt Talk. ;)

it also means we'd have to actually fund our trails program.

A common thread applicable to the problems/solutions discussed in a lot of the common threads on here.......

A common thread applicable to the problems/solutions discussed in a lot of the common threads on here.......

Here's a radical idea. Volunteer to clear trail. I have about 5 miles of specific trail work in mind for next summer. Mostly for selfish reasons.

0909171512_Burst01.jpg

It's not in a WSA area and will use a chain saw.:p

You can also volunteer for orgs like this.

http://www.selwaybitterroot.org/getinvolved/

I'm sure they will accept your tax savings "crumbs" as well as your sweat equity. :cool:

Here's a radical idea. Volunteer to clear trail. I have about 5 miles of specific trail work in mind for next summer. Mostly for selfish reasons.
That is a great way to contribute to trails of value to you. I have volunteered in the Bob working on trails for the Bob Marshall Foundation / Continental Divide Trail System joint projects. The USFS packs in food and tools and lines out the work. Volunteers from all over the country pack in their personal gear and work each day maintaining trails. Evenings and one day during the week are free time to hike, fish, jump in the Sun River, or whatever floats your boat. It also instills a respect for the efficiency of a pulaski and a crosscut saw.

"I have about 5 miles of specific trail work in mind for next summer. Mostly for selfish reasons"

Radical idea - hardly. I'll bet a fair number of us on here that hunt USFS have done exactly that - to some extent or another- "for selfish reasons":rolleyes:

A bunch of geriatric cowboys - Backcountry Horsemans Of Montana - have been doing that for years. My mom's husband was one of these old fart's on the trail until he became too blind to get on his horse at around 82 years old. When he describes places in the Spanish Peaks, it's by "up that pine ridge to the north by the two big boxy rocks above the crick comin' into the lake". He doesn't know what a lat/long or a UTM is:D Backcountry Horseman's is more a Gray Decoys outfit......

Last edited:
"I have about 5 miles of specific trail work in mind for next summer. Mostly for selfish reasons"

Radical idea - hardly. I'll bet a fair number of us on here that hunt USFS have done exactly that - to some extent or another- "for selfish reasons":rolleyes:

A bunch of geriatric cowboys - Backcountry Horsemans Of Montana - have been doing that for years. My mom's husband was one of these old fart's on the trail until he became too blind to get on his horse at around 82 years old. When he describes places in the Spanish Peaks, it's by "up that pine ridge to the north by the two big boxy rocks above the crick comin' into the lake". He doesn't know what a lat/long or a UTM is:D Backcountry Horseman's is more a Gray Decoys outfit......

He sounds like a good old boy from the good old days. Bet he has some great stories to tell!

That is a great way to contribute to trails of value to you. I have volunteered in the Bob working on trails for the Bob Marshall Foundation / Continental Divide Trail System joint projects. The USFS packs in food and tools and lines out the work. Volunteers from all over the country pack in their personal gear and work each day maintaining trails. Evenings and one day during the week are free time to hike, fish, jump in the Sun River, or whatever floats your boat. It also instills a respect for the efficiency of a pulaski and a crosscut saw.

Agree, hands on work is pretty intense. I worked for the Forest Service for a couple seasons as a whopping GS 5 leading via horseback a crew of young, mostly college students, into the Bridger Teton Wilderness clearing trails. Crosscuts stitches on my right knee, a reminder of the great times! 8 day/night tours up to the beautiful thoroughfare area, etc 4 days off to play in Jackson Hole/Teton Village and back in with a cheap per diem to stock up food for our next trek... repeat... Fly-fishing, etc. Beautiful experience!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back