Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

How many states will you apply in for points/hunts this year?

How many states will you apply in for points/hunts this year?

• 1 State

Votes: 27 15.7%
  • 2 - 3 States

Votes: 54 31.4%
  • 4 - 5 States

Votes: 38 22.1%
  • 6 or More States

Votes: 53 30.8%

• Total voters
I just do 2 states , MT and ND . In ND I own land so I'm guaranteed a landowner tag plus otc bow tag and I usually fill both . Plus I always fill my montana deer tag and occasionally get a cow elk . Plus I fish every weekend in the summer so my freezer is full of venison and walleye

In the past I would apply in several states across the west but now I've brought it down to just my home state CA and AZ. Non-res big game license and tag fees have become too much for me and I'd rather spend that money on travel to a place where I can hunt for cheap. To me it's more about the adventure. In May I travel to Molokai and will hunt whatever big game crosses my path and no tags required. For the past 4 years I've been travelling North America hunting waterfowl from Alaska to Florida but taking a DIY big game approach to it. I take all my own gear on a plane and camp out big game style but without the big game fees. Small game license and stamps are cheap but I still get the big adventure. Also, my knees can't handle packing out 100's of pounds of meat anymore.

Wyoming- buy points for deer and elk apply for antelope.
Colorado- buy points for deer, antelope, moose, sheep, goat and apply for elk.
New Mexico- apply for deer, antelope, elk, and sheep.
Texas- apply for antelope and sheep (if they have it this year).

In my home state of Oklahoma hunt my usual OTC tags plus put in for the special controlled elk and deer hunts.

Wyoming - antelope
Texas - antelope and sheep if it's not cancelled again
Minnesota - OTC deer and turkey. I apply for a few drawn deer hunts too, and also always apply for elk

For you guys that are applying in half a dozen states - I'm assuming all for the same thing, or at least similar things - how do you deal with drawing 3-4 elk tags in one season? I can't use more than one elk, and I sure can't find the time or money to hunt more than one elk. I'd hate to draw two for the same year. I might apply elsewhere if I don't draw in Wyoming this morning, but I'll only have one application in at a time. So, what happens when you score a handful?

What the odds of drawing even one elk tag in the units most of us are applying is probably ~5%. So the chances of pulling multiple tags like that in the same season are effectively zero. We are talking like a one in 500 chance or worse. The odds of drawing three are even closer to zero.

Also, some states that use preference points are much easier to plan around because you know which year you will draw.

Finally, even if one did draw multiple low-odds tags--each state has differing season structures you can work around. There's almost always a way to make it work.

Holy f .... that's a lot . How do u even keep track .
I have an Excel spreadsheet that I track applications/draws. Also a binder tabbed by state where I keep a printed copy of the receipts and annually print out a sheet listing all my points in every state. A bit of work, yes, but it's the hand I'm dealt being a non-resident everywhere I'd like to be a resident...

For Deer I'll apply in AZ, NM, TX, WY, UT, CO and Idaho. Might add NV, MT or Kansas to the list. In reality I'll probably only get 2 or 3 deer tags this year. I'll pick up a left of tag in NM or OTC archery in AZ if I don't draw NM rifle tag. If my group of friends decides to just get a point a Colorado again. I'll probably cash in my deer points in Wyoming. Might do OTC deer in Idaho if I have friends or family that I arrange a hunt with.

CO, ID, UT, and WY for me this year. I have a lifetime Idaho license so I will put in for a couple long shots and draw nothing most likely. A also lived in UT for a while and have some points but not enough to do much good as a NR. May use my lone WY pronghorn point this year.

Mostly points right now in WY, CO, UT, and AZ with having young kids at home. Hopefully start cashing in one those in 2019.

AZ, UT, NM, NV, CO, WY, MT, SD, KS, IA, and TX (11 states). Still can’t decide if I want to build points in Washington, Oregon, and California... actually I want to, but on top of the rest of those, buying the state license just to build points is a hard pill to swallow for some reason.

This year....
CO-Elk app, deer points, moose points, sheep points, goat points
WY- Elk, deer, sheep, moose, goat points
AZ- Elk, sheep, deer, antelope points
IA-Deer point
MT-Elk bonus point

Home State SD-3 rifle deer apps, archery deer, Custer deer, archery elk, prairie elk, Custer rifle and archery elk apps, rifle antelope app, Custer antelope app, Sheep app, Goat app, 2 tribal elk apps, 2 tribal deer tags, 1 tribal buffalo tag (I am a tribal member at Pine Ridge)

AZ, UT, NM, NV, CO, WY, MT, SD, KS, IA, and TX (11 states). Still can’t decide if I want to build points in Washington, Oregon, and California... actually I want to, but on top of the rest of those, buying the state license just to build points is a hard pill to swallow for some reason.

Avoid CA, WA and OR as a non-resident. CA offers "up to" tag allocation for non-residents which results in very tough odds for sheep and Tule elk. WA does not cap non-resident tag allocation which is great but the tag cost along with the application cost are brutal to be a "late to the party" applicant in a points squared bonus system. OR does not have many tags for non-residents and some are actually awarded to outfitters and not many units are managed for trophy deer or elk (often is a spike or cow hunt right on top of the bull hunt) so the hunting experience can be poor. If you want to apply for sheep in OR then you could apply for goat (neither goat nor sheep have a preference point system) also and then build points for elk, deer and pronghorn if you are willing to wait 20 years for a okay tag.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back