Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

How many states will you apply in for points/hunts this year?

How many states will you apply in for points/hunts this year?

• 1 State

Votes: 27 15.7%
  • 2 - 3 States

Votes: 54 31.4%
  • 4 - 5 States

Votes: 38 22.1%
  • 6 or More States

Votes: 53 30.8%

• Total voters

NC2CO

Example...I will hunt in my home state where applications aren't necessary but I am also applying for points or hunts in 7 states. Therefore my # is 7 and my answer is '6 or more' since my home state doesn't require applications..

Although each state has multiple opportunities, this year I look to KS for a chance at a big mature whitetail, CO a shot at a gnarly muley, WY a great place for pronghorn and a shot at a great elk tag, AZ is the land of giants with a tee tiny shot for elk/deer/pronghorn, etc. etc.

Good luck in the draws my friends.

Last edited:
MT, WY, AZ, UT, CA, NV as well as few random raffles like Kentucky and Maine.

Can't win if you don't play! Rather gamble my money with the Game and Fish Department any day.

Apps depend on Wyoming elk draw, but at least points in SD, MT, CO, WY. Already applied in AK, and I know I'll apply for a few LE hunts in Indiana. OTC in Alabama.

Anxiously awaiting WY draw results, might apply if CO if I don't draw. Points in AZ, IA, CO, ME, MT, UT, WY. I will apply for the KY elk lottery

I didn't take into account elk points since this is in the deer thread, but I'll be hunting my home state of Wisconsin this year only, and sending in for points in SD.

For you guys that are applying in half a dozen states - I'm assuming all for the same thing, or at least similar things - how do you deal with drawing 3-4 elk tags in one season? I can't use more than one elk and I sure can't find the time or money to hunt more than one elk. I'd hate to draw two for the same year. I might apply elsewhere if I don't draw in Wyoming this morning, but I'll only have one application in at a time. So, what happens when you score a handful?

For you guys that are applying in half a dozen states - I'm assuming all for the same thing, or at least similar things - how do you deal with drawing 3-4 elk tags in one season? I can't use more than one elk and I sure can't find the time or money to hunt more than one elk. I'd hate to draw two for the same year. I might apply elsewhere if I don't draw in Wyoming this morning, but I'll only have one application in at a time. So, what happens when you score a handful?
I generally only put in for elk tags with long enough odds that this isn't much of a worry. Basic statistics. That said, one year I put in for a cow tag in WY that had good odds. Drew it but also ended up drawing two very long odds tags in ID. I made it work, even if I had to sell a few things like rifles to offset the costs. I figure now that I'll just cross that bridge if/when it happens again.

MT, WY, ND, AZ, UT, NM, CO, NV. Long enough odds that I don't worry about drawing too many tags in one year. Even so, two out of state tags are better than none in my opinion.

So far, I've never had the problem of drawing too many tags. I, like you can only juggle a couple of hunts a year so I apply for a deer tag that I have a decent chance of drawing every 2-3 years in CO. Seasons overlap for OTC elk and deer there so when I have a deer tag, I'll pick up an OTC elk tag. With 90% of the rest of the tags I apply for, I swing for the fences. If the perfect storm arose and I did somehow land more than one lotto elk tag, I'd have some very excited friends and family clearing out a little room in their freezers. Just because I am applying for hunts/points in 7 states doesn't mean I plan to hunt in more than a couple of them each year.

I voted 2-3 with Az,CO,WY not thinking of my home state MN. Archery deer is over the counter here but forgot I did have to apply for spring turnkey, which I drew my season A that I put in for.

Between OTC WA, ID, and MT I have plenty of tags (if that's really a thing). But I also put in for many others. If I draw one, something OTC just sits there. It's all about the experiences. How many times am I going to go chase Oryx? one. How many times will I go to Maine for Moose? one. I am blessed to have multiple elk tags every year, as well as other species. Chances of me drawing two tags are so low that if it happened, I'd make it work.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back