Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

How to choose new boots

AKal

Just wondering what everyone looks for in fit and function in a boot for elk hunting, and hiking? Do you want a little room in the toes? A tight fit? How do you know if you'll get blisters from them without putting miles on them? or do you just need to break them in? I am from MN and everything is done in Muck boots and Sorels so fit is not much of a concern in those and don't even know what to look for.

I want room in the toes (for warmth) and the ability to sidehill without the sole sliding sideways and twisting. Heels have to stay in the heel cup while walking steeply up hill.

I prefer an all leather boot, 8-10" uppers, non-insulated, with a rand and a waterproof membrane. Once they check those boxes I'll pick what feels/fits best. IMO you won't know if a boot will give you blisters until you've tried them.

Ankle support, room in toe area for down hill with heavy pack. Kenetrek is the best I have found.

You want some room in the toes but make sure its still a good fit. You don't want your front half or entire foot sliding around in a loose boot. I'd focus on waterproof, uninsulated, and ultra light weight. When you have to lift you foot higher to climb often you don't want to be lighting more weight on the foot than needed. There is a drastic difference from the boots I wear in MN than the ones I typically take out west.

How warm do your feet stay in uninsulated boots? My feet get cold pretty easy. I suppose they stay warm with moving around?

How warm do your feet stay in uninsulated boots? My feet get cold pretty easy. I suppose they stay warm with moving around?
That's been my experience. Hunting "out West" if I get a bit cold, I just move around a bit. Even in Novemeber on elk and mtn goat hunts. Socks that insulate, cushion, and wick moisture go a L O N G way IMO towards foot comfort.

Much different footwear needs for me doing those types of hunts than stand hunting in the Midwest.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back