Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Upgrading from my Leupold VX-2 to another Leupold with CDS and can't decide which one

I have had a Leupold VX-2 on my Browning x-bolt 300 wsm since I bought it and have been very happy with it, but made the mistake of stopping by the Browning booth at the Hunt Expo in SLC a couple weeks ago and looked through the VX-6HD with firedot, CDS, and ZL2. I contacted Leupold about getting a CDS on my current scope, but unfortunately it is not CDS capable, and would cost $230 and 5-6 weeks to retrofit.

My current VX-2 has proven capable, but I would like to upgrade to a more capable long range set-up with the the CDS turret. The firedot looks like a great feature to me, more for the ability to indicate canting of the scope than for aiming purposes, and the zero locking turret is a great feature as well. The problem is how much are these two upgrades worth in the long run?

Any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

I would contact schmalts on this forum and ordered whatever fits your needs/budget. His prices are amazing. Don't overlook the VX5HD either.

Messaged schmalts. You are right about the VX5HD, the 3-15x56 runs about $700 cheaper than the VX6HD 3-18x50 I was considering.

If your wanting to dial a lot, I'd look at the Nightforce SHV and/or a Bushnell LRHSi.

I appreciate all the advice and am getting close to narrowing it down.

I find the CDS system a more appealing solution based on it's simplicity and keeping me from having to do any math. :D I have tried a few BDC reticles in the past, but was not sold on their accuracy as they are not caliber and load specific as the CDS is. Most hunting situations I have encountered in the last 30 years have been >300 yard shots, but the few times where I have seen absolute studs out to <700 yards is enough to make me want to improve my proficiency at longer ranges. At 12 bonus points for elk I hope to finally draw a great tag in the next 5 years or so, and I want to be ready for whatever situation I encounter.

I just bought a VX-5HD 3-15x44 with firedot duplex and CDS. Well worth the money. Contact Schmalts. I bought one from another source just days before he PM'd me when he got another batch in. I paid $2 more that he charges.

blacksheep

So far I really am sold on the vx5hd 3-15. I wish they had it in tmoa. I am trying to talk myself out of the vx6hd 3-18. Looking to have a set up thats good for 800yds. Ive owned Vx3s all my life. Want to upgrade with the potential 28 nosler I want to buy.

The vx6 3-18x44 is what I am leaning towards. The price schmalts is offering is unbeatable.

Just curious, has anyone out there purchased from schmalts in the past using this direct debit payment method? This is new to me versus traditional online purchases, and I just want to make sure I am not being taken.

The vx6 3-18x44 is what I am leaning towards. The price schmalts is offering is unbeatable.

Just curious, has anyone out there purchased from schmalts in the past using this direct debit payment method? This is new to me versus traditional online purchases, and I just want to make sure I am not being taken.

You won't be taken. I've bought from him. I borrowed from him. I've talked with him on the phone. He's solid.

You do realize that the way you phrase that question is that you are asking, IMO, if a long-time poster here is a cheat/scammer? One with multiple recommendations on this very thread, let alone on a number of others regarding a similar purchase?

Last edited:
I realize that,I hope I did not offend anyone with my questioning him. I am new here and do not have any long existing relationships with anyone on this board, and certainly no face to face connections. My money is hard earned and I was just trying to protect myself.

Thanks for your endorsement of his character, that goes a long way. Just trying to do my due diligence, just like scouting a new hunting spot or getting in the range time. No offense intended. Enjoying this forum so far, I don't want to burn any bridges.

I've got a VX5HD 3-15 on my Browning XBolt Stainless Stalker 300 H&H and love the scope. I didn't think I would ever buy a Leupold after owning Zeiss, Leica and Swaro optics, but this Leupold is every bit as clear and sharp as those. I have a custom turret on the scope and so far, the tracking is perfect. There have been some people report that they are having problems with their CDS equipment not working, but I like mine.

If it's me I would be getting the VX-3i 4.5-14x40 (maybe even with a 30mm main tube) with the cds and using the saved money to put towards other gear and tags. That's just me though. If you've got the money, why not go big. Honestly, you're probably not going to be disappointed whatever you decide. I mean it's Leupold. It's all good!!!

Last edited:
Schmalts is legit. I've bought a couple of scopes from him and he is my go to source for buying and opinions, references on optics. No telling how many scopes he sells on here every year. No experience with the Vx5 or 6 but I do have a couple of the Vx3i 3.5-14x40 CDS and they are solid, well built, and clear.

I just bought from Schmlts last week was a smooth transaction and he help me out greatly. I will be buying again from him when it is time to buy more Leupold optics

I am going to pull the trigger on the VX-6HD 3-18x44mm. Thanks for all the advice and the referral to schmalts. I figure might as well go big or go home, I am not getting any younger. Hopefully this is the last scope I ever need.

Back