Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

6mm, 6.5mm's

35whelen

Im looking into the 6mm and 6.5mm.

What is the benefits of

6mm Rem vs 6mm Creedmoor

260 Rem vs 6.5 Creedmoor

Mainly want it for varmints medium sized games

One of the most helpful things might be to look at the stores/websites where you buy ammo or reloading components and see which caliber has the most options or the options you find most interesting. Your question of 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor isn't even a Ford vs Chevy question, but more of a Chevy vs GMC - just not a lot of difference. That's why I was suggesting to see what choices of ammo/components appeals to you the most. Getting another rifle though is a good thing.

Last edited:
I cannot speak for the 6mm Creedmoor but am a die hard 6mm Remington fan. This I know about it.

6mm Remington is a well balanced round that is not hard on barrels but is on the upper end of what you can get in 6mm performance with various weights of bullets. It has a nice long neck that lots of reloaders like and appreciate also.

It is light recoiling and is an accurate cartridge. I have no problems getting the 6mm Remington to shoot well.

It is an excellent ground squirrel, coyote, antelope, and deer round. I've even taken an elk with it as has my son. He shot his first elk which was a large cow with a single 90 gr. Nosler E-tip at 350 yards. She went about 20 yards and tipped over.

Twist is where it's at. Depending on your needs and your choices, there's a lot of very different options out there.

In general, the Creed's are built to run longer high BC bullets. Some dinosaurs might get huffy, but more twist is never a bad thing.

Got rid of my .270 recently after trying to sell it for some time.
Sold the 25-06 a few years back.
The .260 REM is a better choice over either in my opinion.
But hey, dance with what you like.

People that own 6mm/260 Remington just go hunt and kill stuff. The Creedmore group has to stop at Cabelas and buy the latest Kuiu or sitka camo before they can go hunt.

It reall boils down to what your trying to do with it.

The 6mm Creed, 6mm Rem and 243 Win will work good on game up towards deer weight.
Anything weighing beyond that and bullet sellection and shot placement are critical.

The 6.5 Creed, 260 Rem and 6.5mmX57 Mauser, along with the 6.5X55 Swede will do the same with smaller game, but are way more reliable and humane on larger game.

Elkantlers,
Don't forget the stop at Starbucks for their half caf double de caf latte with skim almond milk.

Last edited:
I picked up a 26 Nosler hoping it be like my 28. I shot a deer within 200 yards with my 28 and the bullet pretty much passed threw with very little expansion. So I was looking for a little less recoil for under 400 yards. I like the 6mm Remington but it's finding it chambered in a rifle.

People that own 6mm/260 Remington just go hunt and kill stuff. The Creedmore group has to stop at Cabelas and buy the latest Kuiu or sitka camo before they can go hunt.

This is the most ignorant thing I've read all day...They don't sell Kuiu at Cabela's.

Twist is where it's at. Depending on your needs and your choices, there's a lot of very different options out there.

In general, the Creed's are built to run longer high BC bullets. Some dinosaurs might get huffy, but more twist is never a bad thing.

Pretty much this. The problem with factory .243 is that you get a 1-10" or 1-9.12" twist rate so you are limited to reliably stabilizing something like a 90-95 gr VLD type bullet or a 100 grain round nose. If you want to play with cool bullet weights in 6mm or 6.5mm you need a 1-8 or faster twist.

I wrestled the factory Remington twist rate on .243 with 105 gr Amax bullets for years with mediocre results and then rebarreled to a 1-8" twist 6.5 creedmoor and I was running high BC bullets from factory ammo day 1 with great results. The advantage of 6mm creedmoor is that a factory gun is more likely to have a 1-8" twist, but there are few sporter weight offerings in that caliber compared to chassis type rifles.

264 cal is magic,,i use 90 gr tnt for up to red deer size and 125 partitions for bull tahr to wapiti(nz wapiti which are hybred),,the 90 gr are awesome on small game like our walllaby which in canterbury are fairly big,,ideal on fallow deer

Pretty much this. The problem with factory .243 is that you get a 1-10" or 1-9.12" twist rate so you are limited to reliably stabilizing something like a 90-95 gr VLD type bullet or a 100 grain round nose. If you want to play with cool bullet weights in 6mm or 6.5mm you need a 1-8 or faster twist.

I wrestled the factory Remington twist rate on .243 with 105 gr Amax bullets for years with mediocre results and then rebarreled to a 1-8" twist 6.5 creedmoor and I was running high BC bullets from factory ammo day 1 with great results. The advantage of 6mm creedmoor is that a factory gun is more likely to have a 1-8" twist, but there are few sporter weight offerings in that caliber compared to chassis type rifles.

mtmuley, did you read this?

If you're looking specifically at varmints (groundhogs and such) and medium (whitetail) sized game at any reasonable distance with a little more authority, you might try looking at the 6mm-06. Nice wildcat with a little more power flexibility.

In going to get my 03 actions built into a 25-06 and 6.5-06 at a local gunsmith.

I just finished a 6.5-06 on an 03-A3 Action with a Wisner two-position shroud safety & #1 contour tube twisted 1-in-9”. Haven’t had a chance to wring it out.

If I were you I’d consider a 6mm-06 & either a 25-06 or 6.5-06 because they’re so close. I’d go 6 & 6.5 personally. 6mm w/ a super fast twist could be brilliant w/ both 90 gr ETips & heavy for caliber high-BC Target bullets for varmints & deer sized game. The 6.5 is one I’d confidently use on game as large as moose personally. A 127 LRX & 139 Scenar would do it all!

Good luck!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back