WY results

Congrats to all that were successful in the draw!

I had a quick look at the odds and seems like some point creep. NR points draw for a general tag went from 100% with 2 points to 58%. Buying a point this year is at least keeping up with the points required.

Congrats to the Big Fin family! You raised that boy right and it was Sanfrantastic that he put in and drew with Uncle Larry! You guys will have another nice hunt to do together and we'll be anxiously waiting to see it next year on Prime! My ND friend drew his bull tag in the special where we hunt every year, so I'll be out again for all of September and October again helping him and other friends and looking for a big mulie buck to fill my "gimme" tag that I always get.

Last edited:
Wow. Not sure how it happened. Drew a party app with my 75 year old dad and his bother for 41-1. Random odds. But had to take a shot with his age. Hopefully can get him into some decent elk there! Have never hunted Wyoming for elk and know nothing of the unit. Congrats on the party draw with your uncle BigFin! It is who we are with that matters. Good luck all.

Are any of you planning to archery hunt in 41?

No luck for me with max points and special draw. Maybe I should have went regular draw. Regular Draw odds were double the special draw odds.

Hey JM77. Kinda depends what I get with New Mexico (likely a strike out). Otherwise I will probably hit it for late season archery and learn the area a bit before I get my dad and uncle out there. I understand that much of the east side is wilderness and a lot of higher elevation is take up by that. Looking at maps I think there are probably areas I can pack into near the wilderness that are pretty far from roads. Hopefully these would hold some elk. Suggestions?

Just looking through the results a bit. It looks like days of drawing a general tag in the special draw are long gone. It is showing that even with 1 point in the special draw the general tag wasn't 100%. (It shows 97%).

Crazy! I thought with the price increase the special general tag would lose a little of it's luster. I guess not.

Coulda, shoulda, didn't. Can't believe it.

Sadly, I live in Iowa and none of the bridges around here are high enough to end my misery :(

Now what? Randy, do you cover how to start life over again from scratch after failing to draw an elk tag?

Hey JM77. Kinda depends what I get with New Mexico (likely a strike out). Otherwise I will probably hit it for late season archery and learn the area a bit before I get my dad and uncle out there. I understand that much of the east side is wilderness and a lot of higher elevation is take up by that. Looking at maps I think there are probably areas I can pack into near the wilderness that are pretty far from roads. Hopefully these would hold some elk. Suggestions?

Yes. Call every Commissioner, because they are about to change your tag to be good only in regular rifle season.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/April_CH-7_Draft-1-22-18-2.pdf

Coulda, shoulda, didn't. Can't believe it.

Sadly, I live in Iowa and none of the bridges around here are high enough to end my misery :(

Now what? Randy, do you cover how to start life over again from scratch after failing to draw an elk tag?

Yes he does. Colorado OTC tags. :)

Yes he does. Colorado OTC tags. :)

I don't mean to sound lazy but htat's a whole bunch of research. I've never heard anything good about the CO over the counter tags either. Sounds like a mad house out there.

But I suppose, try to find that little angle no one else sees and outsmart everyone.

I just had my heart set on Wyoming this year, I was sure it would happen. But IDF being what it is, I blew it.

I got lucky and drew 24-1 in special with 11 points. Point creep changed the odds in that category from 87% to 31%. The regular draw in that point category would be 12.5%.

I don't mean to sound lazy but htat's a whole bunch of research. I've never heard anything good about the CO over the counter tags either. Sounds like a mad house out there.

But I suppose, try to find that little angle no one else sees and outsmart everyone.

I just had my heart set on Wyoming this year, I was sure it would happen. But IDF being what it is, I blew it.

CO gets a bad rap about tons of hunters and small bulls (generally deserved), but there are OTC units with quality bulls. Research and hard work. The guys that are killing there don’t say boo and for good reason.

CO gets a bad rap about tons of hunters and small bulls (generally deserved), but there are OTC units with quality bulls. Research and hard work. The guys that are killing there don’t say boo and for good reason.

Thanks for the note. I'm just feeling bitter and sorry for myself and wanting to go home and suck eggs. :)

I'll get over it. Chess move #2 might be a different species. We will have to think on it. Not sure how to research CO, but at some point, I am going to find out.

Back