Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

WY results

This was the first year we have ever applied in Wyoming, and we just applied for the general tag in the regular draw and drew with zero points. Sound like we were pretty lucky.

Lucky but not super uncommon. Congrats! I applied for a gen tag this year with 2 points and was one of the unfortunates who didn't draw (regular draw). Shoot an elk for all of us who didn't draw with more points! Best of luck in planning and have a great hunt.

I think last year 2 points in reg draw for a general tag was 100%

I wonder how many points it will take in 2019. I don’t want to play the point game for a general tag.

The number of people putting in for the Wyoming special elk draw was up 4.8% from last year while the number of people putting in for the regular draw was up 0.7%.

Good information to see. I wonder if those were applicants who had been buying points for many years and decided to cash them out. And if so, will we see a drop next year once people have burned points.

I'm guilty of this... I've been building points for 10 years and burned them on a 61 Special Tag this year. It'll be my first horseback elk hunt in grizzly country :hump:

I have only hunted the General in Wy in the past but this year took a stab at a unit that GOhunt showed I had a decent (aprx 20%) chance and it sees less than 300 total bull tags all season. Got lucky and hit! Since I hunted the gen in 2016, I only had One point this year! Excited to try something different, this will be the first time I plan to hunt elk with a boom stick!

Anybody know about when NR elk tags are mailed out? Do they wait until after the Resident draw? Just trying to know when to keep an eye out so my tag doesn't end up in the junk mail pile. Thanks

My party had 3 points and drew in the random side, but the thought process of everyone in our group was we are done building piles of points in Wyoming (we have had as many as 7 in the past). From now on we will never get more than 3 unless something drastically changes.

Our group drew in the special. Really didn't like the price tag, but would have been chasing the tag for an additional 3-4 years if we wouldn't have bit the bullet.

I am freaking out! :eek: I just checked the results online and I think I just drew a 91-1 Elk tag in the regular draw with 0 points. Admittedly, I didn’t do nearly enough homework on the unit because I couldn’t find a buddy to put in with me. I just put in for a unit that gohunt had as a high success rate and low percentage chance that I’d get drawn so I could build points. Don’t get me wrong, I am super thankful but am a bit overwhelmed because I have very little elk hunting experience and that experience involves a comfy bed, private land, and a guide. What have I gotten myself into? Grizzly’s behind every rock, straight up and down country, and an elk heard that hides better than Sasquatch?!

P.s. - I blame newberg for making elk hunting look so dang much fun!

Anybody know about when NR elk tags are mailed out? Do they wait until after the Resident draw? Just trying to know when to keep an eye out so my tag doesn't end up in the junk mail pile. Thanks

Anybody know when NR tags go out?

I am freaking out! :eek: I just checked the results online and I think I just drew a 91-1 Elk tag in the regular draw with 0 points. Admittedly, I didn’t do nearly enough homework on the unit because I couldn’t find a buddy to put in with me. I just put in for a unit that gohunt had as a high success rate and low percentage chance that I’d get drawn so I could build points. Don’t get me wrong, I am super thankful but am a bit overwhelmed because I have very little elk hunting experience and that experience involves a comfy bed, private land, and a guide. What have I gotten myself into? Grizzly’s behind every rock, straight up and down country, and an elk heard that hides better than Sasquatch?!

What in the world have you been doing since the results were posted over a month ago on 2/22?!

Another 400+ licenses backfilled to the special gen Elk for random odds of 60%. Within 20 licenses of last years number.

91-1

Years ago that was a left over tag, 1 had it twice 20 years ago.
I did it solo once, packing in 3 miles. At age 61 now, I don't think I could do that.
Good luck, have fun

If you find a grizzly in 91 you've got even more luck (good or bad depending on your perspective) than you realize. The public land in 91 is about 91% big mountains. Also note that rifle deer opens well before your rifle elk tag, so there will be no shortage of people having been in many of the gnarly crevices of the Salt's. I'd strongly suggest you pull up google earth to assess the verticality of the area, in order to avoid surprises. It's not the roughest WY has to offer but it's not a stroll. Beautiful terrain, hard to top for looks. Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
What in the world have you been doing since the results were posted over a month ago on 2/22?!

Honestly, I had assumed I had not been drawn and the only reason I actually needed to confirm that was the Montana deadline was approaching and I was going to apply for that draw. I just wanted to make sure that the money would be heading back to the CC. Not to mention, I have never put in for Wyoming before so I had no prior experience as to when the results would be posted.

Back