WY results

CO gets a bad rap about tons of hunters and small bulls (generally deserved), but there are OTC units with quality bulls. Research and hard work. The guys that are killing there don’t say boo and for good reason.

Thanks for the note. I'm just feeling bitter and sorry for myself and wanting to go home and suck eggs. :)

I'll get over it. Chess move #2 might be a different species. We will have to think on it. Not sure HOW to research CO, but at some point, I am going to find out. I have a university map library available to me, but I need more than that.

BrentD,

Not a problem. Sucks. Been there done that with too many un’s over the years. No doubt your fall will come together!

Thanks for the note. I'm just feeling bitter and sorry for myself and wanting to go home and suck eggs. :)

I'll get over it. Chess move #2 might be a different species. We will have to think on it. Not sure HOW to research CO, but at some point, I am going to find out. I have a university map library available to me, but I need more than that.

There is still the left over draw. From the looks of the units that I looked at, I would imagine that a fair percentage of the those same tags from 2017 will be up again in 2018’s leftovers. Odds may not be that good but it’s better than calling it quits.

Including our crew and our sponsors, we had seven people who applied for elk in Wyoming. All in the Special Draw. Prior year point reports showed we would have drawn five of those tags if the point totals stayed similar. As I well know, nothing stays similar in this tag drawing game.

I'm dancing around the room right now. The only two tags drawn were a party application. Uncle Larry (slightly less than max points) and Matthew (max points) drew. Matthew could have stepped up one level higher with his point total, but he wants to hunt with Uncle Larry, knowing Larry's age (72) and a decade of experimental chemo has made it likely that the opportunity to hunt elk in a high quality unit with Uncle Larry is probably not going to come around again. I am thankful he made that decision, as now I get to tag along with my son and a dearly loved Uncle.

More points for me, but I'm more excited for them and the chance to be part of this family elk hunt than any elk tag I could have drawn this year. Thanks to a couple Wyoming Hunt Talkers for putting up with my continual calls about terrain and elk movements in units that might give Larry a bit more chance than some of the other options we had considered.

WooooHooooo!

Congrats to all who drew.

Big Fin, congrats to your family on the tags. The episodes where you share time afield with them are my favorites. I am praying that Uncle Larry has a safe and healthy summer as you wait for season to get here. Are you going to put in for a leftover antlerless so you will be able to hunt as well? Maybe we can see the Newberg family go 3 for 3 or you finally take a cow on camera.

Drew a early rifle cow tag south of Cody, cant wait! Now its just a waiting game until the antelope draw to try and get lucky! Thanks to all on here that have been helpful both this year and last.

After climbing out of the seemingly endless sinkhole of max points last year I'm back into the annual hunt. Drew a general special with no points

I drew a unit in bighorns in the special draw, come on sept and rutting bulls ....

I hope it was a Type 9 tag and not Type 1 because if units 41 and 45 are taken out of the Special archery season like they plan to in April there will be very few Big Horn units where you can use a Type 1 tag in September for archery.

I don't mean to sound lazy but htat's a whole bunch of research. I've never heard anything good about the CO over the counter tags either. Sounds like a mad house out there.

But I suppose, try to find that little angle no one else sees and outsmart everyone.

I just had my heart set on Wyoming this year, I was sure it would happen. But IDF being what it is, I blew it.

Plenty of units in Colorado to hunt. It's February for goodness sake, what else do you have to do.

No out of state hunting for me, just living vicariously. I did get an email this afternoon letting me know I drew a Lake Francis Case paddlefish snagging tag. And another inviting me to apply to be in a focus group for restructuring deer tags here in South Dakota. Little bit of winning.

No matter what we will hunt elk for the first time this season. My wife has her sights set on a Black Hills cow tag. Pretty excited, but our long term plan is to return to Wyoming to pursue elk. Just love that place.

Successful for Gen with one point and special draw.
Congrats to everyone that got one, I hope we all have the hunt we are looking for.
Now I need to start researching for where to go hunt...
I think I am going to need to learn how to hunt in grizzly country.:cool:

general with no points... gotta be the clean and Godly living payin off.

Well...clearly that back door trick didn’t work. Another point for me. And so rejection season starts.

For you Unit 7 hunters, you going DIY? Backpack hunters or car campers / hunters? Going archery or going to grapple with the rifle masses?

No luck on our cow tags.

Congrats to all who drew, including the Fin family.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back