Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Dilemma with a Ruger#1

blue devil

I own a .257 Ackley Improved Ruger #1, purchased in 1973. Sent it to a guy to give me some options on what to do with it since it had been having some issues. Got the call last night that the barrel has hairline cracks about 3" above the receiver and needs to be a total rebarrel job. My dilemma comes with the money to rebarrel the gun and labor, due to its age, where I could almost buy a new Kimber Hunter or at least pretty close? Is there a demand for selling the Ruger #1 for the value of the receiver, stock, etc. ? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I am going to try to get a hold of Ruger. This gun is 45 years old, approximately 15,000+ loads shot thru it and has been modified with improved. I don't foresee them doing much for me, but it's worth a shot. This gunsmith was referred to me by a buddy and seems to be the only gunsmith that wanted to check into the issue and get me some info. The first 3 (in SD) didn't even want to deal with a Ruger#1 and the 4th (in Indiana) seemed to be extremely knowledgable about Ruger#1's but I'm willing to spend $1100 to fix the issue, when I can buy a new one for $1,300-1,400. So calling Ruger to find out some options.

With that many rounds I would think he meant fire cracking in the rifling of the barrel. PacNor will rebarrel a ruger #1 for a pretty decent price. Are you wanting a 257AI again? PacNor has a lot of reamers available also.
Since you have had the rifle a long time and I'm sure it has sentimental value I'd say rebarrel it. Plus it will probably be pretty accurate with a custom barrel.

Yes sorry, they look like micro cracks, so you are probably correct. I'm not sure if I would have it as a .257AI again or a straight .257 Roberts. I will also check with PacNor Thanks
With that many rounds I would think he meant fire cracking in the rifling of the barrel. PacNor will rebarrel a ruger #1 for a pretty decent price. Are you wanting a 257AI again? PacNor has a lot of reamers available also.
Since you have had the rifle a long time and I'm sure it has sentimental value I'd say rebarrel it. Plus it will probably be pretty accurate with a custom barrel.

If you rebarrel I would go a 25-06 if you like the 257 calibers. Man with a 24 or 26" barrel it's a screamer. I do have a Ruger 1B in 6mm Remington and it is a fantastic shooting rifle. I really like it for coyotes, deer, and antelope.

If you rebarrel I would go a 25-06 if you like the 257 calibers. Man with a 24 or 26" barrel it's a screamer. I do have a Ruger 1B in 6mm Remington and it is a fantastic shooting rifle. I really like it for coyotes, deer, and antelope.
Aww man I have been wanting one in a 6mm Rem or .220 Swift!

Keep in thought, if you send it to Ruger they will rebarrel to it's original factory cartridge only. That goes for any work you have done on any rifle sent to them, back to factory original spec (for the entire rifle), period.

Last edited:
I discussed that with my father. We've been discussing what caliber to go to. He would like to see it in an original .257 Roberts, but the brass is so difficult to find anymore. I would maybe look into the 6.5 Creedmoor. Only bad thing is it had a heavy/varmit barrel on it and now I would have to go back to the sportster barrel.
Keep in thought, if you send it to Ruger they will rebarrel to it's original factory cartridge only. That goes for any work you have done on any rifle sent to them, back to factory original spec (for the entire rifle), period.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back