Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Cabela's Krotos Anybody

I tried one in the store at Cabelas. I found it to be pretty good quality and actually better in my opinion than the Viper series. The Razor series still looked crisper to me and I ended up going with the old model Razor as I was able to get it for about $900 but still was very impressed by the Krotos for the cost.

Thanks for the insight here. Only thing that keeps bringing me back to Vortex every time is the unbeatable warranty.

I have the Krotos. It is really clear. I picked mine up for around 500 on a sale. If I had to buy another one I would buy it again. I really can’t compare it to the viper but at the price range I purchased it at it was a lot better than the diamond back.

Thanks for the insight here. Only thing that keeps bringing me back to Vortex every time is the unbeatable warranty.

Yep, the warranty definitely was a big factor for me. The pending sale of cabelas at the time and not knowing what that would do to their warranty on name brand products had me nervous about the Krotos warranty. When Gander Mountain went under so did all their warranties so again that had me leaning towards Vortex although I did like the quality of the Krotos. The thing that finally sold it for me was my local cabelas only had a 65mm objective on the Krotos and I liked the 85mm objective of the vortex razor that was on sale. All that said, I favored the Vortex but definitely still respect the quality I saw in the Krotos.

Looks like Cabela's is only making the Krotos in 86mm objective now as well. I can't find anything on their former 65mm. Seems like a lot of people are comparing this to the Razor series when I google reviews. I'm well under the Razor's price range so that's not an option haha. Waiting for Cabela's to bring in the new Viper so I can compare in store.

I've had the 65mm Krotos since August, and I'm happy with it. I got it for less than the viper HD, and I believe it is better or at least on par with the vortex razor. I've spotted deer at ranges in excess of 5 miles, I've been able to identified bucks at nearly 3 miles (snowy background). I'm not confident I'll be able to count points, inches or annuli beyond 1500yds, but it works well enough for me to be able to decide if I want to get closer or not. It's biggest limitation is that it is not a great lowlight performer, and it gets noticeably darker at higher magnifications.

I don't know if Cabela's is going to make another run of the krotos or not, but I do know the 65's are sold out and can only be found in the bargain cave or on the classifieds. I can honestly say that if you're in the market for an entry level spotter, you won't be disappointed with the Krotos, and it competes very well with all of the optics in it's price range.

Thanks for the note on this. I've had my eye out for any 65mm Krotos' that pops up by chance. If anyone has any leads let me know, please! Waiting to see if Cabela's brings something similar back.

I bought one last year in 65mm and am really happy with it. I think it is a little better then the viper. The other reason I chose it is it is more compact then any of the the Vortex spotters.

I just picked up a 65mm at the Cabela’s in Omaha today. It was the last one they had left here. It’s far better than one would expect for $340.

Can't find any in store here in PA and nothing online via the website either. Where are you guys finding these?! I'll have to call Cabela's tomorrow.

It was on the shelf. Last one in the store. I'd call the headquarters and have them check each store's inventory.

I spent a few weeks with the Cabelas Krotos 65mm and my Gen 1 Vortex Razor 65mm side by side. I sold the Razor, kept the Krotos. They were close. The Razor was a tiny bit brighter but the Krotos was sharper. The little fine details were more apparent with the Krotos. Very happy with mine and look forward to many years of reliable service with it.

I sold a Pre HD Vortex Viper after my archery season this fall. I had used it for years and it had been reliable and pretty effective. Both the Razor and the Krotos were brighter, trimmer, easier to focus, sharper in the image and had better edge to edge clarity. I am sure that the HD versions of the Viper were better, but the newest Viper HD looks very similar to the Krotos (Athlon Ares by the way). I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it is using the Gen 1 glass from the Razor.

Anyway, I have always liked Vortex and they are a great company to deal with. My buddy who now owns the Viper spotter will have many many more years of excellent service from it as well.

As far as warranty, since Cabelas has been purchased by Bass Pro shops, I am sure that they will honor the warranty in the future. If Cabelas went out of business that would be a different story, but morphing into a different company seems less threatening to me.

I called corporate HQ a month ago when my backorder was cancelled, they didn't have any. I was pretty PO'd. But I went to the local store and luckily snagged one...no thanks to the employees. They didn't know what a Krotos was (I had to point it out to them) but still tried to talk me out of it.

It's a nice scope for the money if you can find one.
Good luck.

haha I was just on the phone with someone from HQ yesterday and they didn't know what a Krotos was until I explained it. They're all out across all stores apparently. Pretty surprised they've discontinued the 65mm but kept the 86mm.

haha I was just on the phone with someone from HQ yesterday and they didn't know what a Krotos was until I explained it. They're all out across all stores apparently. Pretty surprised they've discontinued the 65mm but kept the 86mm.

I think the 86mm may be new. I wanna say the old one was 80 or 85mm.

I picked up an 15-45x65 last fall too for my first spotter. Read reviews and comparisons of the Krotos and the previous style Viper HD like a mad man. Krotos was lighter, shorter, and had a wider field of view. I've been very pleased with the light transmission and clarity of the glass. Overall just feels like a toughly built scope.

My only complaints are:
1. Eye relief seems a little short. When using at high zoom I feel like my eye is almost touching the glass, this has led to the lens fogging up when using in really cold conditions (<20F). I assume a longer eye relief would allow for the temp near the glass to remain the same as the outdoor air temp and reduce fogging.
2. The focus wheel isn't ideal when using on a tripod or window mount. I saw vortex made the new Viper HD's with a similar focus wheel to what the Krotos has. Not sure why they changed that? From my experience I would definitely prefer to have the coarse and fine focus finger nobs.

bcar,

I agree with your grievances completely. The focus is lame and the eye relief isn’t perfect. But the glass is quite good. So I try to use my iPhone digiscope adapter whenever possible.

AggieOutlaw, What brand of digiscope do you use? I haven't got one yet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back