Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT vs Kaitum 3?

fnf01

Looking to get a tent going on first backpack elk hunt. It'll be two guys walking back in with everything on our back to a spike camp were well set up and then hunt from for ~7days. Between the Nallo 3 GT and the Kaitum 3 which would you go for? The Kaitum looks to be about 2.25lbs heavier but gives two entrances, only about 10 in longer, but about 10 inches wider and a couple inches taller inside as well. Lets say cost between the two is a wash. Suggestions?

I have the Kaitum 3 GT. I've used the Nallo 3 GT on one backpacking trip. Both are awesome tents. All else being equal, I'd take the lighter Nallo 3 GT over the Kaitum 3. I know weather isn't easy to predict but if I thought I was going to significant time in the tent due to weather I might opt for the Kaitum 3. The dual vestibule / entrance would allow you to store gear on one end and cook on the other. The only time you'll notice the sloped headspace in the Nallo is when you're riding out miserable weather inside the tent.

Last edited:
I have both and love both of them, plus a Nallo 2G. I find I use the Nallo more on backpack hunts and the Kaitum on base camp hunts. Pick what you will get the most use from and you will enjoy years of comfort.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm thinking I might like the Kaitum more with the added space and duel entrances. Do you think you could fit 3 in the Nallo 3 gt and not drive each other mad? Same question for the Kaitum. I have two small (right now) boys that I hope to go on backwoods trips when they are older and am of the philosophy to "buy once cry once". I figure if I can use the Kaitum 3 now as a comfy 2 person and in the future still use it as a little more snug 3 person with my boys 2 birds one stone right? But I might have a line a barely used Nallo 3 gt for the cheap right now. These are the problems to have I guess. Do I hold out for what I think I want, possibly not finding it or take advantage of a steal of a deal with option two?? As the little girl in the taco commercial would say "why not both?!" Decisions, Decisions.

Here’s my opinion: If you have more than one guy in a backpacking tent, dual entrances/vestibules are very, very nice.

I’ve used them both. The Kaitum in the NNWT and the nallo a lot in Montana.
Either is plenty. A little roomier in the kaitum. Up to you if it’s worth the weight penalty.
I’d probably pick nallo unless I expected to be weathered in and spending a lot of time in the tent.

If you decide you want more interior room for summer bp trips in either one, just pull the inner tent out and use it as a floorless shelter. Space abounds.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm thinking I might like the Kaitum more with the added space and duel entrances. Do you think you could fit 3 in the Nallo 3 gt and not drive each other mad? Same question for the Kaitum. I have two small (right now) boys that I hope to go on backwoods trips when they are older and am of the philosophy to "buy once cry once". I figure if I can use the Kaitum 3 now as a comfy 2 person and in the future still use it as a little more snug 3 person with my boys 2 birds one stone right? But I might have a line a barely used Nallo 3 gt for the cheap right now. These are the problems to have I guess. Do I hold out for what I think I want, possibly not finding it or take advantage of a steal of a deal with option two?? As the little girl in the taco commercial would say "why not both?!" Decisions, Decisions.

As much as I love Hilleberg tents, I've yet to use any tent from any company and think I'd want to sleep in it with the number of people it's rated for. Emergency situation, ok. Otherwise I always take person rating and subtract 1, sometimes more depending on configuration.

Well I lost out on the Nallo 3gt, guess its what I get for not jumping on it. Kinda bummed but live and learn. Search continues for a Nallo 3gt or kaitum 3

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back