North Georgia Mountain Boar

jbogg

I had a small window on Sunday to run up to the mountains and try to find some pigs on Chattahoochee NF. I parked at the locked FS road gate at 10:30AM, and after hiking up the mountain for an hour I walked up on this bruiser just as he was entering a distant wildlife opening. He was every bit of 200 lbs, and looked to have a fair amount of Russian blood in him based on his appearance. We don’t have many deer up in our mountains, but the bear and hogs are plenty. Can’t wait to fire up the smoker!

Attachments

• 7E9B8D3E-1722-45DE-8153-A10F48F5D677.jpeg
    7E9B8D3E-1722-45DE-8153-A10F48F5D677.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 290
  • A0034430-5433-415C-8673-DAFA7CCE3C2A.jpeg
    A0034430-5433-415C-8673-DAFA7CCE3C2A.jpeg
    448.5 KB · Views: 291
I'd rather take a big boar like that than just about any old buck. I get to try my luck in Alabama next weekend.

Thanks for posting it up!

I would hate to see that old boar at 20 yards in underbush. He looks mean.

Great hunt and I agree that is not a piggy escaping from a farm. Russian boar look is there!

Thanks fellas. I had never even seen a wild hog until I started hunting public land in the North GA mountains two years ago. There are plenty of them, but they are by no means easy to find. I would bet the majority of them die of old age in some of those impenetrable mountain laurel thickets where no man will venture. Now is a great time to hunt them since the acorns are mostly gone and they are hitting the food plots on the WMAs. Small game season runs from August to the end of February, and I have yet to run into another hunter once deer season closed the first of January.

So when you say Russian blood, are the russians interfering with our hunting by planting russian hogs in our woods like there meddling in our elections? lol

But serious question. What do you mean by russian blood? I've never been hog hunting nor do I have any experience with them other than seeing everyone's pictures around the forums. Would love to go down from MT somewhere for a public land hog hunt though.

So when you say Russian blood, are the russians interfering with our hunting by planting russian hogs in our woods like there meddling in our elections? lol

But serious question. What do you mean by russian blood? I've never been hog hunting nor do I have any experience with them other than seeing everyone's pictures around the forums. Would love to go down from MT somewhere for a public land hog hunt though.

Over the years some game farms brought Eurasian pigs, and some of those pigs have either escaped or purposely released into wild populations. Most wild pigs are a mix bags of mutts between domestic and feral. Ones that have floppy ears and short snouts display characteristics of their domesticated bloodline. As they turn more feral their hair becomes more coarse, snout longer, ears pointed, and develop tusks. This starts within a single domestic pig if turned loose, and the physical characteristics progress with future generations.

Guess you can say the Eurasian pigs are a true bloodline of wildpigs. Kind of how a wart hog is would be my best example. But I'm sure they readily breed with existing feral pigs.

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back