Double checking my understanding of MT points

bjochem

I think this is right but why not ask the experts so I don't screw up and miss out? In MT a person can buy a preference point and/or a bonus point for NR deer, elk and big game combos, correct? Also, these can be purchased from July 1st through September 30th? Is it worth buying both to help insure that we can pull tags the year we want to? Oddly, I have Elk Talk playing and Randy is going in to preference point and bonus point systems as I type. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

I'm planning an archery elk hunt in 2019 and have spoke to Montana's fish and game about points. No expert, but the outfitter we are going with hunts 1 area that uses a pref. Point and 1 that uses bonus point. The odds of drawing go up about 20% with a point. So if say it's worth it to buy them. However, you can only buy just the point once, after that you have to apply for the tag or you lose your points (I believe). You can not just buy a point every year. After the first year

You can buy s point every year to my understanding and keep them without applying

Seems to be some confusion here:

This only applies for Non-Residents; You have points for your big game combo license, this is the base license that you have to buy to hunt elk/deer in Montana. In past years they didn't sell out and points were a waste of money. Last year they sold out, it might be a good idea to get a point so that in 2019 you are guaranteed to draw you "base hunting licence." The bonus point system that Randy discusses is for special limited areas that you have to draw a permit for in order to hunt. You can get 1 bonus point each year for permit drawings, and these points are squared and then your name is thrown in the hat once for each bonus point. So with 3 points my name will go in the hat 10 times 3x3 for points 1 for that years application = 10

CTELK83, what your outfitter meant was that it can take a point to draw the "base license" and then he also hunts another area that requires you to draw a permit, in addition and building bonus points would be helpful in that endeavor.

E.G. I you want to hunt unit 319 you just need the big game combo, (which you might not draw 100% with a preference point), if you want to hunt the Missouri Breaks... the 600s... then you will need to draw your big game combo, and then draw a permit for a specific unit in the breaks. Given the demand for this tag it will likely tag you a decades of applying and buying bonus points each year.

Yes . Pref point are only for NR for big game combo tags . Bonus points are for special permits

https://www.gohunt.com/read/news/alert-montanas-new-bonus-point-application-period#gs.3LwkRg4

Montana is very confusing. First off there is a different between preference points and bonus points. Preference points are for nonresidents only and are used to draw general combination tags (which are OTC for residents). Yes you can buy a preference point during that period for $50, and if you buy one this year you should be guaranteed a general tag next year. Then there's bonus points which are for drawing controlled tags. You can only apply for controlled tags once you already drew a general tag with your preference points. Yes you can buy bonus points for deer and elk during that period for $25 apiece.

So you need to decide if you intend to hunt a general unit or if you want a limited entry unit. If you just want to hunt general then there's no real need to buy a bonus point. If you want to hunt a limited entry unit then check the odds for that unit and see if there's decent odds with one bonus point or however many you intend to have when you're looking to draw. You are never guaranteed to draw limited entry tags in Montana so regardless of whether you want to hunt a limited entry unit, have a general unit picked out that you're willing to hunt or you'll have to turn your general tag back in and lose 20% of the cash.

Last edited:
https://www.gohunt.com/read/news/alert-montanas-new-bonus-point-application-period#gs.3LwkRg4

Montana is very confusing. First off there is a different between preference points and bonus points. Preference points are for nonresidents only and are used to draw general combination tags (which are OTC for residents). Yes you can buy a preference point during that period for $50, and if you buy one this year you should be guaranteed a general tag next year. Then there's bonus points which are for drawing controlled tags. You can only apply for controlled tags once you already drew a general tag with your preference points. Yes you can buy bonus points for deer and elk during that period for $25 apiece.

So you need to decide if you intend to hunt a general unit or if you want a limited entry unit. If you just want to hunt general then there's no real need to buy a bonus point. If you want to hunt a limited entry unit then check the odds for that unit and see if there's decent odds with one bonus point or however many you intend to have when you're looking to draw. You are never guaranteed to draw limited entry tags in Montana so regardless of whether you want to hunt a limited entry unit, have a general unit picked out that you're willing to hunt or you'll have to turn your general tag back in and lose 80% of the cash.

Lose 20% . You get 80% back if you turn gen tag back in if unsuccessful in limited draw

Lose 20% . You get 80% back if you turn gen tag back in if unsuccessful in limited draw

Also if you apply for both an permit deer unit an elk permit, and mark give me an "80% refund if I don't draw" and then pull one permit and not the other you will break the system and create months worth of misery for yourself :) ..... so yeah utilize the new point system and buy bonus points in July if you want points but can't actually hunt MT this year.

no prob guessing everyone knew what u meant . Montana system really is pretty simple once you as a NR Learn to separate the diff between the bonus point and pref points . The elk permit atleast for me is not make or break . I still think the montana general tag is a great tag lots of bulls killed every year on gen tag

Do you lose bonus pts if you just pull a general and hunt a general or can you keep building those? Can you accumulate more than 1 point?

Also, say you draw a tag, can you buy a point the same year?

If you draw gen tag , u lose your preference points but you keep your bonus points for special permit if you don't draw one . You can buy one bonus and one pref point per year - if you buy them at time of app you can't buy them later but if you don't buy them at time of app you can buy them in July

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back